[net.micro] Commodore support

dennisg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Dennis E. Griesser) (08/01/85)

In article <222@brl-tgr.ARPA> mcb@LLL-TIS-B.ARPA (Michael C. Berch) writes:
>If that's cruddy support, let's have more of it. DAMN STRAIGHT a
>dealer ought to cover warranty jobs for units not sold by them.
>There's nothing more discouraging than having bought something out of
>state, by mail order, or simply at a dealer you don't care to go back
>to, and have the second dealer give you a hard time about a warranty
>repair because he/she didn't sell it to you. After all, it's the dealer's
>use of the Commodore name and logo that gets people into the store in
>the first place. In return for that essentially free advertising, the dealer
>had better be pretty decent to his manufacturer's customers.
>
>As far as major toy stores and so forth -- this is what's known as a
>market economy. Certainly firms that buy Quantity 10,000 are entitled
>to a better price than those who buy Quantity 100? This gives the
>buyer an option -- buy at a full-service dealer at a higher price
>and get good support, advice, help with installation and training, or
>buy at a major discounter and get a low price but nothing else. That's

At first, these two paragraphs seem to contradict each other.  Then I decided
that they just needed some clarification.

First you say that any dealer should cover warranty jobs.  I agree.

Then you say that a buyer should be able to go to a cut-rate dealer that does
not offer support, advice, help, or training.  I agree.

But this does NOT mean that somebody who buys his computer at half-price from
some discount joint is entitled to walk into a full-service dealer and demand
full, free support.  If it's broken, the full-service dealer should fix it
(free if under warranty).  But hand-holding is out!