[comp.unix.ultrix] virus & DEC...

mbr@BBN.COM (Mark Rosenthal) (11/22/88)

In article <3480@hubcap.UUCP> hubcap@hubcap.UUCP (Mike Marshall) writes:
>ULTRIX 2.X is delivered with fingerd turned off and sendmail configured sans
>debug...
>
>Thanks, DEC
>
>Mike Marshall      hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu

My impression is that this is a mixed blessing.  It protects you from the
security hole which was exploited by the worm, but it also makes it impossible
to debug a sendmail configuration file.

Isn't there any way that the Ultrix group could fix sendmail so the security
hole is closed, but still make it possible for the local administrator to debug
a configuration file?  DEC - are you listening?
--
	Mark of the Valley of Roses
	...!{harvard,ima}!bbn!aoa!mbr

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (12/03/88)

I disagree.  I have been playing with sendmail.cf files for about 4 years
or so.  I have taught about 6 classes on the subject over this time.  I have
no problem debugging a sendmail.cf file with debug turned off.  The debug
feature is for people who have sources.  If you have sources, by all means
turn it on if you want.

I don't want to be dogmatic, but you said it is "impossible
to debug a sendmail configuration file" with this feature turned off.  This is
simply not true.

Fred

mitch@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Mitch Collinsworth) (12/03/88)

In article <71070@felix.UUCP> mbr@BBN.COM (Mark Rosenthal) writes:

>Isn't there any way that the Ultrix group could fix sendmail so the security
>hole is closed, but still make it possible for the local administrator to debug
>a configuration file?  DEC - are you listening?

I find using test mode works pretty well, myself.  And it doesn't open any
security holes in the process!

-Mitch Collinsworth
 mitch@squid.tn.cornell.edu