[comp.unix.ultrix] f77 fort compiling

hurf@ionvax.tn.cornell.edu (Hurf Sheldon) (11/09/88)

 We have some compiling problems compiling f-77 code under fort.
 Specifically soubroutines are not found from one module to another.
 One approach has been to edit the files to put the names in upper case.
 The other ploy has been to concatenate all the source files and then
 run fort on the whole package. It does so with out problems which leads me
 to believe the problem has to do with the first pass of the compiler
 not finding the named subroutines when they are in another module.

 Is there a way to get around this? One example of our problem would be
 to compile the ncar source under fort.

 Thanks in advance for any hints or solutions.
 hurf

     Hurf Sheldon			 Network: hurf@ionvax.tn.cornell.edu
     Lab of Plasma Studies		  Bitnet: hurf@CRNLION
     369 Upson Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y. 14853  ph:607 255 7267
     I sold my Elan, got a job in science; Now, no one takes me seriously.

mal@hjuxa.UUCP (11/23/88)

hurf@ionvax.tn.cornell.edu (Hurf Sheldon):

>  We have some compiling problems compiling f-77 code under fort.

	Tho I can't remember the details, f77 does some stange
	things with symbols.  DEC does not claim that lk will link
	object created with f77.  It is unsupported.

	Tho I work for DEC, I do not claim to speak for them, the above
	is based on personal expierience.

Michael A. Leach   uucp:    {decvax,clyde,rutgers,decuac}!hjuxa!mal
		   email:   hjuxa!mal@decuac.dec.com  OR  leach@unxa.dec.com
		   voice:   (201) 577-6013 (day)     (201) 905-2115 (night)

pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (G.Pavlov) (12/03/88)

In article <71177@felix.UUCP>, mal@hjuxa.UUCP writes:

> >  We have some compiling problems compiling f-77 code under fort.
>
> 	Tho I can't remember the details, f77 does some stange
> 	things with symbols.  DEC does not claim that lk will link
> 	object created with f77.  It is unsupported.

  We've used both.  I don't know (and won't argue) whether or not f77 "does
  some strange things with symbols".  But what I can say is that fort will
  by you considerable performance improvement at the expense of portability.
  fort simply does not mix well with f77 or Ultrix C (maybe others as well;
  don't know because we haven't tried).

  greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny