[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix killed by a resetting X server

jdb@ukc.ac.uk (J.D.Bovey) (11/09/88)

We would be most grateful to anyone who can help us with a problem we
are having with X11R2 on a VAXstation 2 GPX running Ultrix 2.2. About
one time in three, for no obvious reason, the GPX dies completely when
the X server resets after a user logs out - the screen stays black and
the machine has to be rebooted.

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (11/23/88)

Details please.  Can you log in via another terminal?  Could you try this
and see what is going on (ps ax).  *IF* the server process and/or your
xterm is waiting on an inode, then I have seen this problem.  It seems to
have gone away with FT#2 of UWS 2.0 (ULTRIX 3.0).  I say *seems* because it
hasn't happened in a long time but used to happen more times than not for me
before.

Fred

yba@sabre.bellcore.com (Mark Levine) (11/23/88)

In article <68510@felix.UUCP> jdb@ukc.ac.uk (J.D.Bovey) writes:
>We would be most grateful to anyone who can help us with a problem we
>are having with X11R2 on a VAXstation 2 GPX running Ultrix 2.2. About
>one time in three, for no obvious reason, the GPX dies completely when
>the X server resets after a user logs out - the screen stays black and
>the machine has to be rebooted.

I despair of getting email to your domain -- when another writer in
comp.windows.x complained of this problem and I echoed same, we both
received a mailed copy of a new Qdss driver from someone at DEC that
fixes the problem.  I have a copy, but am not sure how to help you --
contacting DEC is probably best.  I trust the repaired driver will be
included with Ultrix 3.0.

Eleazor bar Shimon, once and future Carolingian
yba@sabre.bellcore.com

cetron@wasatch.UUCP (Edward J Cetron) (12/04/88)

In article <71189@felix.UUCP> yba@sabre.bellcore.com (Mark Levine) writes:
>I despair of getting email to your domain -- when another writer in
>comp.windows.x complained of this problem and I echoed same, we both
>received a mailed copy of a new Qdss driver from someone at DEC that
>fixes the problem.  I have a copy, but am not sure how to help you --
>contacting DEC is probably best.  I trust the repaired driver will be
>included with Ultrix 3.0.

	Actually, the X11R2 driver is fine WHEN ALL PATCHES ARE APPLIED. What
IS needed from DEC is the new qd.c/qd.o which is messed up.. also I remember
someone saying something about changing DMA_bufsize to 10 from 3 * 1024. It
should be 10* 1024...

-ed (who used to have the same problem)
cetron@wasatch.utah.edu