[comp.unix.ultrix] XMODEM weirdness

rrw.UUCP@naucse.UUCP (Robert Wier) (01/31/89)

Subject: xmodem problem
Newsgroups: comp.unix.ultrix

 Lately, we have been experiencing problems with our XMODEM
 routine (I believe it's 3.6?).  When a transfer had started,
 but the user desires to terminate it prematurely, he is *supposed*
 to be able to do so by sending a series of control x characters.
 However, our our system XMODEM seems to lock up.
 Specifics:  Transferring VAX->MAC, using SAK option.  When MAC
 requests termination and returns to terminal emulate mode, you
 can see the text being retransmitted several times by the VAX
 to the MAC, as one would expect.  However, entering control x
 at the MAC has no effect on the VAX.  Eventually the VAX stops
 sending the last line (times out or reaches retransmit limit)
 it just locks up and will not respond to any controls sent by
 the Mac to the VAX.

 Now comes the weird part.  In order to free up the line where
 xmodem was running, sign onto another port.  Kill the csh
 pid - At this point *all* terminals currently signed on will
 lock up, although the VAX still responds to low level telnet
 commands.  Consol does not respond.  Only way to regain control
 is to re-boot.

 This has happened twice in a week.  A few months earlier we had
 seen the xmodem lock-up problem, but the system crash thing
 is new.

 Are there newer versions of Xmodem?  I prefer that over kermit
 as it is considerably faster (about 91% of terminal line speed
 versus something like 37% for Kermit).

 Any suggestions greatly appreciated, and I will pass them along
 to our local unix/c wizard.

 -Bob Wier at Flagstaff, Arizona         Northern Arizona University
  ...arizona!naucse!rrw |  BITNET: WIER@NAUVAX | *usual disclaimers*