[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix Vers. 3.0 Official Distribution Date

tyers@trlluna.trl.oz (P Tyers) (02/04/89)

Can someone help me? When was Ultrix 3.0 officially distributed, I repeat
distributed, not released or sent out as beta in the USA?

I believe it was on or around 1 December 1988 but need confirmation. I am
curently in discussion with DEC Australia regarding the timeframe for
distribution of upgrades in Australia. Current estimate is about end March
which I consider totally unacceptable; to belt DEC Aust. I need facts to
weight the club. At approximately A$1000 per month for DECAID I expect
some service, is this too much to expect?

thanks in advance

--
P Tyers,	           JANET tyers%trlluna.oz@uk.ac.ucl.cs
ACSnet 	tyers@trlluna.oz   UUCP {uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trlluna.oz!tyers

pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (G.Pavlov) (03/07/89)

In article <82065@felix.UUCP>, tyers@trlluna.trl.oz (P Tyers) writes:

> Can someone help me? When was Ultrix 3.0 officially distributed, I repeat
> distributed, not released or sent out as beta in the USA?
> ..........Current estimate is about end March
> which I consider totally unacceptable; to belt DEC Aust. I need facts to
> weight the club. At approximately A$1000 per month for DECAID I expect
> some service, is this too much to expect?

  Probably. We haven't received ours either.  But then, it took DEC twelve
  days to replace a bad disk last month, and we have "eight-hour response time"
  service coverage (yes, they always at least call me back within that time
  frame.  Big deal).

  This level of "service" does simplify things, tho:  the question of whether
  to go with the "safe" choice of a big vendor or a small, potentially less
  reliable one, doesn't come up anymore when we are looking to buy new equip-
  ment.  Made it much easier to purchase a MIPS for a database machine, with
  its 12:1 price-performance advantage over a uVAX 3500.....

  greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny