[comp.unix.ultrix] Do I need to install 2.2 and 2.3 before 3.0

gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (01/31/89)

     I am currently running Ultrix 2.0 on a VAX 11/750.  I'm running out
 of closet space though so I've been considering upgrading to Ultrix 3.0
 Should I install 2.1 and 2.3 first (advanced installation in each case) ?

Thank you,
Gordon Vickers 408/991-5370 (Sunnyvale,Ca); {mips|pyramid|philabs}!prls!gordon

richard@vajra.UUCP (Richard Wood) (02/04/89)

In article <81558@felix.UUCP> gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) writes:

>     I am currently running Ultrix 2.0 on a VAX 11/750.  I'm running out
> of closet space though so I've been considering upgrading to Ultrix 3.0
> Should I install 2.1 and 2.3 first (advanced installation in each case) ?

There is no technical reason that this is necessary.

-- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does it need saying that I'm not speaking as an official representative of DEC?
Richard Wood  !  U. S. Worksystems, Palo Alto  !  Digital Equipment Corporation

D. Allen [CGL]) (03/18/89)

If you boot over Ethernet, DEC changed the format of some header files
that affect the mop download process sometime between 2.0-1 and 2.3;
you will have to remake your "addnode" database files with the *new*
header files before you can boot Ultrix 3.0 across a network.  I think
/usr/include/sas/vmb.h is the one you have to update, then remove and
remake all your ris client files again.  We are successfully booting
Ultrix 3.0 off a GPX Microvax II running an Ultrix 2.0-1 kernel and mop_mom.
--
-IAN! (Ian! D. Allen) IDAllen@watcgl.UWaterloo.CA IDAllen@watcgl.Waterloo.edu
 Computer Graphics Lab    University of Waterloo    Ontario, Canada