[comp.unix.ultrix] VERY Dangerous Hole ...

slouder@note.nsf.gov (Steve Loudermilk) (01/31/89)

Hi,

On 22 Dec 88, a notice was posted on this bulletin board by a
Mr. Ning Zhang in Germany announcing he had discovered a "very
dangerous security hole in UNIX".  He said he had drafted a report
on it.

I was of the opinion that much more would be forthcoming if there
really was such a problem.  Nothing else has been posted concerning
this.  And I have seen nothing on other BBs which are linked to this
message.  I was ready to write it off as a false alarm.  However, other's
in my office, and rightly so, have urged me to "close the loop" and
find out for sure.

Is there really a big problem?  Is it the same as ftp, finger,
or sendmail problems which have been handled so well by others in the
internet community?

Excuse me if I have missed something here, but I believe such an
announcement deserves a followup explanation.

Thanks,

Steve Loudermilk			Internet:  slouder@note.nsf.gov
Integrated Microcomputer Systems Inc.	Phonenet:  (202) 357-9648

aem@ibiza.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (02/04/89)

I got the report, and yes, it is a serious security hole.  I was able to
replicate it on bot Ultrix 2.2 and Ultrix 3.0 (i.e. go into superuser mode
from a non-priv account).  It has been discussed on the security mailing list.
I suggest that you check the security archives for details, or write me via
email.

aem
a.e.mossberg aem@mthvax.miami.edu MIAVAX::AEM (Span) aem@umiami.BITNET (soon)
Love of money is the mother of all evils.               - Diogenes

zhang@zgdvda.UUCP (Ning Zhang) (02/04/89)

In article <81555@felix.UUCP>, slouder@note.nsf.gov (Steve Loudermilk) writes:

> ...had drafted a report on it.

Yes. I've post it (and some lastest bugs) to UCB, DEC, SUN, Cert,...

> I was of the opinion that much more would be forthcoming if there
> really was such a problem.

Do you mean that I should post the bug reports in this open bulletin?
No, it's much more dangerous, because they contained the step-by-step
breakin methods to exploit such bugs. I should be very very careful to
deliver them. I just got a complaint about the abuse of my report and
I'm surprised!

> Nothing else has been posted concerning this. And I have seen nothing
> on other BBs which are linked to this message.

Originally, I planned to post the announcement to news.sysadmin, news.admin,
and comp.unix.ultrix,... but most of them are moderated. I only have seen
my posting in comp.unix.ultrix.

> I was ready to write it off as a false alarm.

Please not...:-)

> However, other's in my office, and rightly so, have urged me to "close the
> loop" and find out for sure.

If you're really aware of the security problems, why not you take part in
some security lists? There're many discussions about the resent discoveries
of security problems.

> Is there really a big problem?

Yes, they're quite serious. But many vendors have shipped patches to fix them.

> Is it the same as ftp, finger, or sendmail problems which have been handled
> so well by others in the internet community?

Of course not.

Hope the above info is enough. Please ask your vendors for fixes. I wont
deliver the bug reports again!
----
Ning Zhang relay.cs.net!uka!unido!zgdvda!zhang |Giving a man a fish \\\| An  Old
Computer Graphics Center (ZGDV)                |Feed him for one day \\| Chinese
Wilhelminenstr.7, 6100 Darmstadt, West Germany |Teaching a man to fish | Proverb
Permanent Addr:Inst.of AI,Zhejiang Univ. China |Serve him forever and a day ||||

wswietse@eutrc3.UUCP (Wietse Venema) (03/07/89)

|----------------------------------------------------------------------
|Steve Loudermilk			Internet:  slouder@note.nsf.gov
|Integrated Microcomputer Systems Inc.	Phonenet:  (202) 357-9648
|----------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem is real and has been found on several BSD-like UNIX
versions (Ultrix, Alliant, Sun). It occurs when the finger field of a
passwd file entry becomes longer than the internal buffers used by
programs such as chsh(1).
--
uucp:	wswietse@eutrc3.UUCP	| Eindhoven University of Technology
bitnet:	wswietse@heithe5.BITNET	| Dept. of Mathematics and Computing Science

wdg@unccvax.UUCP (Doug Gullett) (03/07/89)

Hello I'm the Sys Admin (and everything else too) for Ultrix and Sun OS
machines here at the University of NC at Charlotte.  Please send me any
information that I need to 'fix' this security hole.  Currently we are
running Ultrix 2.0 and 2.2 (a long story) and hope to soon load 3.0 on
most of our machines.  We do have source for 2.0 and are working with
DEC on 3.0 source.

				thanks,
				Doug Gullett (wdg)

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (03/22/89)

This is certainly NOT an official suggestion from Digital.  Speaking as
a user I seem to remember a release note or something that indicated this
(with V3.0) and the suggestion 1) to chnage the modes on chfn and chsh
to 700 and 2) that it would be fixed in the maintenance release (3.1?).

Fred