[comp.unix.ultrix] Fsck fails

marco@ll-xn.UUCP (Marco Zelada) (03/22/89)

	We just had a disk crash last night on one of our VAX II/GPX
machines. The autoreboot preocedure failled and it asked me to run fsck
manually, which I did and got the following:

	buvlsi5.root % fsck -y -P /dev/rra1h

	/dev/rra1h:	CANNOT READ: BLK 16
	/dev/rra1h:	UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY: RUN fsck MANUALLY

	buvlsi5.root % fsck -y -P /dev/rra1h

	** /dev/rra1h

	CANNOT READ: BLK 16
	CONTINUE? yes

	buvlsi5.root % fsck -y -b 32 /dev/rra1h

	** /dev/rra1h

	CANNOT READ: BLK 32
	CONTINUE? yes

	buvlsi5.root % icehck /dev/rra1h

	/dev/rra1h:
	/dev/rra1h: I/O error
	bad super block

	buvlsi5.root % icehck -s dev/rra1h

	/dev/rra1h: I/O error
	bad super block

	buvlsi5.root % dcehck /dev/rra1h

	/dev/rra1h:
	read error 16

	/dev/rra1h: not a file system

	At this point I have very little else to do but to put a new
file system on and try to recover from tape. I would rather try anything
else if possible.

	Any help on how to fix this would be appreciated.

--
Name:	Marco Zelada			Phone:	617 353 9882
Dept:	Electrical & Computer Eng.	E-mail:	marco@buengc.bu.edu

treese@crltrx.crl.dec.com (Win Treese) (03/25/89)

In article <88321@felix.UUCP> marco@ll-xn.UUCP (Marco Zelada) writes:

>	We just had a disk crash last night on one of our VAX II/GPX
>machines. The autoreboot preocedure failled and it asked me to run fsck
>manually, which I did and got the following:

One thing to try is the radisk(8) utility to find bad spots on the disk and
map them out.  The use of radisk is described in the Ultrix documentation
binder "System Management" (binder 2), in "Guide to System Disk Maintenance."

Win Treese						Cambridge Research Lab
treese@crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.