[comp.unix.ultrix] Emulex TC11, VAX 8650, & Ultrix v2.2

sparks@euler.berkeley.edu (Jay Sparks) (03/22/89)

I cannot get my Emulex tc11 controller board to interrupt
during autoconfig on my DEC 8650 using Ultrix 2.2 as follows:

tm0 at uba0 csr 172520 vec 224..didn't interrupt

However, when installed on my 11/750 using 4.3bsd, it interrupts and
runs fine.

Is anyone aware of glitches porting the tm driver to Ultrix 2.2
or changes in switch settings on the controller?

BTW, no other device has the same or nearby address.  And other
devices on the same unibus work.  I am using a Kennedy 9300.

Thank you,

Jay Sparks
sparks@euler.berkeley.edu

heins@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Leeland Heins) (03/28/89)

In article <88316@felix.UUCP> sparks@euler.berkeley.edu (Jay Sparks) writes:

>I cannot get my Emulex tc11 controller board to interrupt
>during autoconfig on my DEC 8650 using Ultrix 2.2 as follows:

We had exactly the same kind of problem when installing a tc12 in our VAX 8250
running 4.3BSD-Tahoe.  From talking to Chris Torek (U. of Maryland), I was able
to get the problem fixed.  Seems the tc13 doesn't have any problems at all.

>tm0 at uba0 csr 172520 vec 224..didn't interrupt
>
>However, when installed on my 11/750 using 4.3bsd, it interrupts and
>runs fine.

Because the driver code in BSD is different.  If you have source, you need
to change two numbers in the tm.c source, then build a new kernal.  In the
ts.c code we had, we had to change two lines that read "DELAY(20000)" to
"DELAY(5000000)".  This allowed much more time for the controller to interrupt.
Which made BSD happy.

>Is anyone aware of glitches porting the tm driver to Ultrix 2.2

Problem with Ultrix is too often, no source code is available, usually people
only have a binary license.  Binary only can be a very big pain, especially
when dealing with non-DEC hardware.

>or changes in switch settings on the controller?

Our tc12 was moved from an 11/730 to the 8250 with no changes in dip switches.
This doesn't guarantee you will find the same to be true for your particular
config though.  Hopefully the same type of mods that work for the tc12 will
work for the tc13.  If not, you can perhaps tie cvec to the right vector
manually and comment out all the code that does the interrupting (this was
suggested by Chris Torek if the 20000->500000 patch hadn't worked.

>Jay Sparks
>sparks@euler.berkeley.edu

One question though...  If you have appropriate licensing to run 4.3 BSD, why
would you run Ultrix?  Ultrix seems to be just proprietized 4.2 BSD that costs
an arm and a leg to run, sure, they added some stuff, but is it worth it?.
(Note, this is my opinion only, though my employers decided they'd rather run
4.3BSD than Ultrix).

					Lee Heins, EXNET Programmer
					Iowa State U. Extension Service
					...!hplabs!hp-lsd!atanasoff!heins

In article <913@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu> heins@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Leeland Heins) writes:
> In article <88316@felix.UUCP> sparks@euler.berkeley.edu (Jay Sparks) writes:
> >
> >I cannot get my Emulex tc11 controller board to interrupt
> >during autoconfig on my DEC 8650 using Ultrix 2.2 as follows:
>
> We had exactly the same kind of problem when installing a tc12 in our VAX 8250
> running 4.3BSD-Tahoe.  From talking to Chris Torek (U. of Maryland), I was able

Hmmm, looks like somebody tried to fix the problem at least as of Ultrix 2.2,
but they changed the first two delays to 5 sec instead of the second two...

Anyway, if you want to try changing the final delay to 5 seconds or some
other value, the procedure looks something like this.  Make sure that
that the code sequence of pushl $x, calls matches before you try to change
the numbers.  8-)

Disclaimer:  I don't have any unibus tape emulation installed so I have no
             way of actually testing this patch.  Use at your own risk!

# cp /genvmunix /toyvmunix
# adb -w /toyvmunix
tsprobe+14a?i
800663e6:	pushl	$186a0