[comp.unix.ultrix] mail11v3

hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike Marshall) (03/25/89)

I believe I have determined that you can't use /usr/bin/mail11v3 without
using DEC's sendmail. At least I have determined that my sendmail.cf file
bombs out trying to do an mx lookup on host::host using sendmail 5.61 and
works fine using the sendmail executable delivered with ULTRIX. Same with
DEC's sendmail.cf - works fine with their executable, but bombs using
5.61.

I would assume this means anyone who was using MMDF or any other mail
routing program is SCREWED.

To make matters worse, DEC has absolutely broken the mail11-daemon that
is part of DECnet/ULTRIX... it used to deliver DECnet/Internet addresses
to the DECnet/Internet host looking like     gateway::user@place
             now the addresses look like     gateway::"user@place"

Try getting sendmail to parse a quoted string! ---------+
Maybe I should send DEC a copy of rfc822 :-).

ULTRIX has the potential to be such a good thing... at this moment though,
I think ULTRIX is the pits.

-Mike Marshall       hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu    ...!hubcap!hubcap

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (03/30/89)

In article <4899@hubcap.clemson.edu>, hubcap@hubcap (Mike Marshall) writes:
>I believe I have determined that you can't use /usr/bin/mail11v3 without
>using DEC's sendmail.

Therer are some special flags that are undocumented that DEC
has added. Look closely at the options to the TCP mailers
and the headers.

>To make matters worse, DEC has absolutely broken the mail11-daemon that
>is part of DECnet/ULTRIX... it used to deliver DECnet/Internet addresses
>to the DECnet/Internet host looking like     gateway::user@place
>             now the addresses look like     gateway::"user@place"
>Try getting sendmail to parse a quoted string! ---------+

I tried to add the double quote character to the operator list, and Ultrix
sendmail didn't even look at it. If I could have quotes, I could modify
sendmail.cf to fix it myself. I think we are using the old version of mail11.

The sendmail file we got with 3.0 was garbage. I had to trash 90% of it.

Sun provides 2 or 3 sendmail.cf files. AT least they understand that
not all systems are the same. Dec tried to put every option in one file,
and it is really too much. I also don't know why they didn't
convert an address like
	abc::address
into something close to RFC822, i.e. <@abc.decnet>:address

Also, if you have an error like
	R$+	$@$2
you don't get the error until you execute the ruleset. SunOS sendmail
reports the error when it starts up. My test suite didn't note this
because the error was going to stdout, and I didn't see the error
when I installed it.

Did anyone get any documentation with the 3.0 sendmail? There are a lot
of differences, which I had to figure out by reverse engineering.

I am not impressed.

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crdgw1.ge.com>  a.k.a. <barnett@[192.35.44.4]>
			uunet!steinmetz!barnett, <barnett@steinmetz.ge.com>

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (03/30/89)

Well, I strongly disagree with your statement that the sendmail.cf file
with 3.0 is garbage.  Not because I am a "Digit" but because I
run/manage/beat/cuddle a 3-way network mail gateway (UUCP/Internet/EasyNet).
Did I use the sendmail.cf file as shipped?  No, I did have to change it.
Somethings in the sendmail.cf file are done in ways *I* could not do them.
But the commenting in this file is so extensive that I believe it to be a pretty
good guide for changing this file.  In addition, there are 3 other example
config files in /usr/src/usr.lib/sendmail/cf (in the binary distribution).  I'd be
interested in hearing from you -- perhaps by e-mail -- what differences you found
in the sendmail with 3.0 that needed to be documented.  (The H flag used by the
mail11 program is one that I know about and that fact that mail11 didn't want the
user names on thge command line anymore.  *I* wish that was documented too!)

Aside from that, your comments and suggestions on how sendmail should look, what works,
what doesn't, etc. in your environment -- in as much details as you can give -- would
be very beneficial to ULTRIX Engineering.  Please send in an SPR on it or at least
spell it out via e-mail or in this news group.

Finally, I'd be happy to send you the sendmail.cf that Decuac uses.  You can see the
changes I made to the standard sendmail.cf.

DISCLAIMER:  You know this but... I am not speaking officially, only as a user of
ULTRIX.  I don't work for ULTRIX Engineering.  I don't engineer Sendmail, I merely
wrestle with it and sometimes teach about it.

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (03/31/89)

From article <4899@hubcap.clemson.edu>, by hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike Marshall):
> I believe I have determined that you can't use /usr/bin/mail11v3 without
> using DEC's sendmail. At least I have determined that my sendmail.cf file
> bombs out trying to do an mx lookup on host::host using sendmail 5.61 and
> works fine using the sendmail executable delivered with ULTRIX. Same with
> DEC's sendmail.cf - works fine with their executable, but bombs using
> 5.61.

sendmail doesn't try the name server unless your sendmail.cf tells it to,
right?  (i.e., via $[..$])  Are you telling it to ask the name server, if
the address looks like a::b, and if so, why?

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu		rhesus!dubois
bin@primate.wisc.edu		rhesus!bin

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (03/31/89)

In article <174@indri.primate.wisc.edu>, bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:

> sendmail doesn't try the name server unless your sendmail.cf tells it to,
> right?  (i.e., via $[..$])  Are you telling it to ask the name server, if
> the address looks like a::b, and if so, why?
>
> Paul DuBois
> dubois@primate.wisc.edu		rhesus!dubois
> bin@primate.wisc.edu		rhesus!bin

Hi Paul!

Sendmail will explicitly insert whatis returned from a nameserver query when you
have thje $[address$] ion your RHS transformation in the config file.  You do not need
to do this and usually only want to if you want to do soemthing special with what is
returned (in other words if you care about it).  Otherwise, if you leave this out,
it still uses the name server when it tries to mail it.  In fact it uses it again even
if you do explicitly call it in the rules as above.  It asks for an mx record from
the network if you have bind in your svcorder file.

Fred