[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix resolver

waters@ncifcrf.gov (Jack Waters) (04/03/89)

Hi,

I'm new to this group so please be gentle. Recently, we got
a DEC Station 3100 running Ultrix as a demo. I want to use
the resolver but I must be doing something wrong. I have a
valid resolv.conf file pointing to both my primary and secondary
nameservers. When I run nslookup it resolves any address
that I want whether in my domain or out in the world. My
problem is that when I try to use telnet or rlogin the only
name resolution I get is from /etc/hosts. Any comments
will be appreciated.

			Thanks in advance,

			Jack Waters
			Advanced Scientific Computing Laboratory
			National Cancer Institute
			Frederick Md. 21701
			Internet: waters@fcs280s.ncifcrf.gov
			Phone: 301-698-5769

treese@crltrx.crl.dec.com (Win Treese) (04/04/89)

In article <774@fcs280s.ncifcrf.gov> waters@ncifcrf.gov (Jack Waters) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I'm new to this group so please be gentle. Recently, we got
>a DEC Station 3100 running Ultrix as a demo. I want to use
>the resolver but I must be doing something wrong. I have a
>valid resolv.conf file pointing to both my primary and secondary
>nameservers. When I run nslookup it resolves any address
>that I want whether in my domain or out in the world. My
>problem is that when I try to use telnet or rlogin the only
>name resolution I get is from /etc/hosts. Any comments
>will be appreciated.

There should be a file /etc/svcorder with the following lines:

bind
local

(assuming that you don't use Yellow Pages).  This instructs the
resolver code to use the name server, then the local host tables.
nslookup does not check this file.

Happy hacking....

Win Treese						Cambridge Research Lab
treese@crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (04/06/89)

In article <124@crltrx.crl.dec.com>, treese@crltrx.crl.dec.com (Win Treese)

> There should be a file /etc/svcorder with the following lines:
>
> bind
> local
>
> (assuming that you don't use Yellow Pages).  This instructs the
> resolver code to use the name server, then the local host tables.
> nslookup does not check this file.
>
> Happy hacking....
>
> Win Treese						Cambridge Research Lab
> treese@crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.

What we would like to do is have one of our machines (I'll call it our server)
running bind to get it's host information from name servers and our other machines run Yellow Pages to query our server for host information in the hope of reducing network traffic and load on the name servers.

We are currently running YP on all of our machines, using the server as  the YP master.

The question is, do we just put the following in our server /etc/svorder file:

bind
yp
local

And have the clients with the /etc/svcorder file:

yp
local

Will the yellow pages programs on our server get their information from bind
or will they only use the /etc/hosts file?

Thanks in advance for any help.
_____________________________________
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory

We don't need no stinking signatures!

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (04/06/89)

In article <2342@helios.ee.lbl.gov>, envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) writes:
> What we would like to do is have one of our machines (I'll call it our server)
> running bind to get it's host information from name servers and our other machines run Yellow Pages to query our server for host information in the hope of reducing network traffic and load on the name servers.
>
> We are currently running YP on all of our machines, using the server as  the YP master.
>
> The question is, do we just put the following in our server /etc/svorder file:
>
> bind
> yp
> local
>
> And have the clients with the /etc/svcorder file:
>
> yp
> local
>
> Will the yellow pages programs on our server get their information from bind
> or will they only use the /etc/hosts file?

YP will only us the YP hosts file. Set up the client systems as resolver only
systems.  Have them set up to only query your server system.  Have that
set up as a caching server (or a master server if you are in control of
your domain).  The others are just slave servers.  They needn't run
named.  Just make sure that have /etc/resolv.conf pointing at your
server.

So... Server should have

bind
yp

Server should run named.

Clients should have the same...

bind
yp

Clients could run named as a slave system.  Clients could also forgo named
and just have /etc/resolv.config point to the server system.

I trust I make myself obscure?

schoch@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Steve Schoch) (04/08/89)

>In article <124@crltrx.crl.dec.com>, treese@crltrx.crl.dec.com (Win Treese)
>
>> There should be a file /etc/svcorder with the following lines:
>>
>> bind
>> local
Here is a annoying problem we have:

/etc/ifconfig also looks at /etc/svcorder.  Unfortunately, when ifconfig
is run from /etc/rc.local, the nameserver is not running.  Therefore,
it takes forever to time the bind connection out before going to the
host table.  One way around this is to put the actual IP number in
/etc/rc.local, but this is ugly.

Is there a way to force ifconfig to use the host table and ignore
/etc/svcorder?

	Steve