[comp.unix.ultrix] DECstation 3100 & non-DEC SCSI disks?

lgy@blake.acs.washington.edu (Laurence Yaffe) (04/13/89)

    Is anyone using non-DEC SCSI disks on a DECstation 3100 yet?
Which vendor?  Are you using DEC's device driver?  Are you booting
off a non-DEC disk?

    Naturally, I'm trying to find out if I can save money by getting
non-DEC disks.  But I really don't want to learn about writing device
drivers myself!  I'd like to know of actual working systems before
accepting the statement that this "ought to be no problem" really
means that it is no problem.

--
Laurence G. Yaffe		Internet: lgy@newton.phys.washington.edu
Department of Physics, FM-15	  Bitnet: yaffe@phast.bitnet

jim@umigw.MIAMI.EDU (jim brown) (04/13/89)

In article <1565@blake.acs.washington.edu> lgy@blake.acs.washington.edu (Laurence Yaffe) writes:
>    Is anyone using non-DEC SCSI disks on a DECstation 3100 yet?
>Which vendor?  Are you using DEC's device driver?  Are you booting
>off a non-DEC disk?

DEC supports MAXTOR and CONNER drives in addition to their own drives.
With 'a little' work you too can use other brands.  We have ours running
on CDC WREN IV/V disk drives (details available on request).  Even though
the configuration file says EXABYTE tapes are supported, we haven't been
able to get one to work yet.

Jim
--
Jim Brown, University of Miami, RSMAS/MPO
[send mail to jim@umigw.miami.edu]