[comp.unix.ultrix] UWS V2.0 Xqdsg server problems

hbrand@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Hal Brand) (05/13/89)

I am having the following problems with my DECWindows server under UWS V2.0
on my color VS2000:

1) I get "Xlib: Sequence lost" error messages. Mostly when running GNU Emacs
   and I get them when running local, with a SUN 3/260 (SUNOS V4) as
   the client machine, and with a VAX 11/785 (4.3 BSD) as the client!
   After about 3 of these messages, emacs freezes and must be "kill"ed!

2) CLX (Franz Allegro CL with CLX/XCW) running on the Sun 3/260 consistantly
   gives a sequence lost message. Interestingly, it expected 7 and got 1792.
   Since 7*256 is 1792, I suspect that there may be a "big-endian" (which
   CLX wants) and "little-endian" (which is native to the VS2000) problem!
   The problem occurs on X protocol opcode QueryFont (47) and is consistant!
   The first few bytes of the reply by the VS2000 server as recieved by
   CLX (as best I can tell) are:
   1 0 7 0 0 0 2 215 255 255 0 1 0 6 255 255 255 250 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 7 0 6.

3) Using XGetImage followed by XPutImage works fine with ZPixmap, but draws
   garbage using XYPixmap (although the garbage is strongly related to the
   original image!)! In a related problem, "xwd -xy | xpr -device ps" produces
   a postscript file that prints garbage very similar to the garbage produced
   when using XYPixmap format. Also, using XCopyArea from the root window
   including subwindows to a pixmap and then using XCopyArea to copy that
   pixmap to a window (i.e. xsnap) produces garbage (but again, garbage
   related to the starting contents)!

4) Many of the cursors (including the upper-left, lower-left, upper-right
   and lower-right brackets) have "dirt" (i.e. random bits set) at the
   bottom of the cursor area!

Does anyone have any information to share about these problems?? I am
especially interested in fixing the sequence lost problem with CLX since
it is preventing work from my VS2000!!!

						Hal Brand
						hbrand@lll-crg.llnl.gov

treese@crl.dec.com (Win Treese) (05/15/89)

In article <25143@winken.LLNL.GOV>, hbrand@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Hal Brand) writes:

> Does anyone have any information to share about these problems?? I am
> especially interested in fixing the sequence lost problem with CLX since
> it is preventing work from my VS2000!!!

It appears to be a bug in the DECwindows X server.  To my knowledge, a fix
is not yet available, but the problem is being worked on.

Win Treese						Cambridge Research Lab
treese@crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.

I don't speak for Digital, and Digital doesn't speak for me.