[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix 3.0 pitfalls; please warn me

mms@bnlux0.bnl.gov (Morris Strongson) (05/18/89)

    We will be building Ultrix 3.0 in the near future, and would like to
know what problems people have run in to.  On our system (Vax 11/780) we
will be building emacs, jove, UREP, News/Nntp, Uucp, BIND (name daemon),
macsyma, Imagen printer software, TeX, etc., and using sendmail to route to
various networks.  Since many systems are already running Ultrix 3.0, we
would appreciate any advice you wish to give, as long as it is
constructive.  If you feel that it would not be of interest to the whole
distribution, please send your answer to root@bnlux0.bnl.gov,
root@bnlux0.uucp, or root@bnlux0.bitnet, depending on your network. Thanks
in advance.
		Morris Strongson  INTERNET:  mms@bnlux0.bnl.gov
				  BITNET:    mms@bnlux0.BITNET
				  UUCP:      ...philabs!sbcs!bnlux0!mms
				       or    bnlux0!mms@uunet.uu.net

--

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (05/19/89)

In article <1135@bnlux0.bnl.gov> mms@bnlux0.UUCP (Morris Strongson) writes:
>...  On our system (Vax 11/780) we
>will be building
>emacs,
Builds fine -- and even works with D-CWindows

>jove,
Dunno .. but don't expect any problems

>UREP,
Yup, we run it.  And the DP-11 driver "just installed" so I expect
the DUP-11 driver will work too.  The only caveat is to remove the
"register ..., ..." definitions from the beginning of the probe routine.
(is it "br, cvec"?) as Ultrix doesn't use them as register variables
anymore.

>News/Nntp,
Dunno .. but don't expect any problems

>Uucp,
We use the 4.3BSD uucp from Rick Adams (we don't have his latest tho').

We use this one because we have some over-the-Internet UUCP links
using the t protocol and with uucpd.  I believe the Ultrix UUCP
has none of that in it.

>BIND (name daemon),
The BIND there is 4.7.3 with some "improvements".  I had some troubles
with that version tho so we put up 4.8 but left the resolver stuff alone.
(The /etc/svcorder file is a very nice touch)

>macsyma,
Dunno .. I know we use this around here but don't know which machine
we run it on anymore.

>Imagen printer software,
Works fine

>TeX, etc.,
Works fine

>and using sendmail to route to
Use MMDF .. it's good for the soul ;-)

The only other thing is that D-CWindows is slooooooooooooooow..
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

kff@kesmai.COM (Kelton Flinn) (05/22/89)

    We're running Ultrix 3.0 on a MicroVax II. It took me 2 tries to
install it, as the upgrade installation had changed slightly,
and the installation procedure reformatted and tried to install
on the wrong disk drive (ok, I'll admit I didn't read the prompt
carefully enough, but previous installations hadn't done this.
I ended up powering off all but the internal RD-53 system disk so that it
could make NO mistake. Thank God for backups!)
    We recompiled emacs, jove, news 2.11.whatever, smail, micro-emacs,
and various other things with no problems. tip works better than ever,
we can now dial in and out on the same lines, and it even logs people
off when they hang up! Vax C (vcc) works well now, we've
started using it for production work; it was too flaky in previous
releases, things broke in unexplained ways.
    Overall, Ultrix 3.0 seems to be good stuff.
  3:54am  up 54 days,  8:34,  7 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.35, 0.57
              ^

  Kelton

kline@tuna.cso.uiuc.edu (Charley Kline) (05/23/89)

> >...  On our system (Vax 11/780) we
> >will be building
> >News/Nntp,
> Dunno .. but don't expect any problems

We run NNTP here on a 3500 with 2.2 (soon to be 3.0), and serve all the
campus rrn's. Works like a champ.

> >BIND (name daemon),
> The BIND there is 4.7.3 with some "improvements".  I had some troubles
> with that version tho so we put up 4.8 but left the resolver stuff alone.
> (The /etc/svcorder file is a very nice touch)

We're running the new 4.8+ version of bind from the University of Toronto.
Fixes a lot of bugs in 4.8, like the core cancer problem, and so on. Seems
to fit in seamlessly. Agreed that svcorder is wonderful. I like to be able
to tell the lookup routines to pay NO ATTENTION TO YP.

> >and using sendmail to route to
> Use MMDF .. it's good for the soul ;-)

Paul Pomes here is a rabid sendmail addict, so I expect our 3500 will be
running the new 5.61/IDA stuff soon. The hope is that IDA sendmail will
integrate the mail11d DECnet mailer, and some local stuff which does SMTP
over a DECnet connection to a PMDF gadget on one of the VMS machines here.

> The only other thing is that D-CWindows is slooooooooooooooow..

Agreed. But it seems to be fine if you don't run any of the DOGwindows
clients, which are not only slow but HUGE. I run the DOGwindows server
but only native X applications, and everyone is happy, including me,
since the speed is acceptable. This on a 6Mby VS2000.

-----
Charley Kline, University of Illinois Computing Services
kline@tuna.cso.uiuc.edu

"Flaring high or flaring early makes the little prop tips curly."

sfreed@charon.unm.edu (Steven Freed CIRT) (05/23/89)

In article <1135@bnlux0.bnl.gov> mms@bnlux0.UUCP (Morris Strongson) writes:

>    We will be building Ultrix 3.0 in the near future, and would like to
>know what problems people have run in to.

So far, only one major bug here, which exists in yppasswd. if your passwd
file looks like this:

  .   .   .
  .   .   .
  .   .   .
van:dgd;lkW%%dk:15:7:...
  .   .   .
  .   .   .
va:Ddkerl$#%$5n:25:10:...
  .   .   .
  .   .   .
  .   .   .

When va tries to change his passwd, it will try to change the passwd for
van. (luckily, this fails)

good luck!!
Steve.                     sfreed@ariel.unm.edu