[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix 3.0 - Reverse LAT on DECserver 100's - help

doug@sis.UUCP (doug berry) (05/23/89)

i've tried:
    lcp -s -h /dev/tty35:AUNT:SISPRINT
  tty35 is not enabled in /etc/ttys, setup on AUNT as per manual.
  cat >>/dev/tty35  returns...
  no such device or address

and then:
    reboot, make entries in /etc/printcap for LAT printer
  LAT is started in /etc/rc.local
  lpr -P latprinter  returns
  no such device or address

This system has devices made for lta0 and lta1.
i can run a test on the port defined as SISPRINT and get output.

Am i doing something wrong?
Is this supported on the 100's?

Help.
--
            ...utzoo\                          phone: +1 416 845 9430 x446
uucp: ...uunet!mnetor!yunexus!sis!doug

In article <559@sis.UUCP> doug@sis.UUCP (doug berry) writes:

> i've tried:
>     lcp -s -h /dev/tty35:AUNT:SISPRINT
>
> This system has devices made for lta0 and lta1.
> i can run a test on the port defined as SISPRINT and get output.

You do have the lat support config'ed to support 32 lines?  You
need:

	option	LAT
pseudo-device	lat
pseudo-device	lta	32

davew@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM (David C. White) (05/25/89)

In article <559@sis.UUCP> doug@sis.UUCP (doug berry) writes:
>i've tried:
>    lcp -s -h /dev/tty35:AUNT:SISPRINT
>  tty35 is not enabled in /etc/ttys, setup on AUNT as per manual.
>  cat >>/dev/tty35  returns...
>  no such device or address
>and then:
>    reboot, make entries in /etc/printcap for LAT printer
>  LAT is started in /etc/rc.local
>  lpr -P latprinter  returns
>  no such device or address

You haven't shown your printcap entry for the printer you have
attached to the server, but I'm making a wild guess that you
may have associated the printer and the port in the printcap
file with the 'op' and 'os' flags and you have also made the
association with the 'lcp' command as you have shown above.
This will not work.  You can either make the association in
the printcap file with the 'op' and 'os' flags and issue the
lcp command as 'lcp -s -h /dev/tty35' or delete the 'op' and
'os' flags from your printcap file and use the lcp command as
you did in your example.

--
David White	Grass Valley Group, Inc.   VOICE: +1 916.478.3052
P.O. Box 1114  	Grass Valley, CA  95945    FAX: +1 916.478.3778

doug@sis.UUCP (doug berry) (05/26/89)

In article <559@sis.UUCP> i write:
#
#i've tried:
#    lcp -s -h /dev/tty35:AUNT:SISPRINT
#  tty35 is not enabled in /etc/ttys, setup on AUNT as per manual.
#  cat >>/dev/tty35  returns...
#  no such device or address
#
and then i tried pstat -t and only saw 16 lta lines... BOZO,
in kernel config, enabling lta device only gives a default
of 16 lines, i was trying line 32 (we have a 4 port dz board).

Nothing like posting a problem to help you find it ;-(.
Oh well, back to the woodshed.

Thanks for all of the replies folks,

--doug