[comp.unix.ultrix] Problem: booting VAX station 3200 off uVAX II

hafner@bach.csg.uiuc.edu (Brian J. Hafner) (05/23/89)

I'm having trouble booting a diskless monochrome Vax Station 3200 off
of a uVax II running 3.0.  It down loads the operating system fine,
recognizes its devices, mounts root, mounts swap, and hangs.  The last message
states the swap size: 32000+ blocks (16M).  Both /var/diskless/dlenv0 and
/var/diskless/dlclient0 are in the same physical partition.  Further,
I have a symbolic link from /var/diskless to /home/machine/diskless.
The server has two ethernet interfaces, but I ran dms with only the
client net interface configured (I also took the other internet address out
of yp and the local /etc/hosts).

I have tried the /etc/exports fix posted by Hurf Sheldon at Chris
Siebenmann's suggestion.  It didn't seem to help.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Brian J. Hafner
System Programmer for the Computer Systems Group (CSG)
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
hafner@bach.csg.uiuc.edu

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (05/23/89)

In article <1094@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> hafner@bach.csg.uiuc.edu.UUCP (Brian J. Hafner) writes:

>I'm having trouble booting a diskless monochrome Vax Station 3200 off
>of a uVax II running 3.0.  ...
>recognizes its devices, mounts root, mounts swap, and hangs.  The last message
>states the swap size: 32000+ blocks (16M)....

I don't think it is mounting root.

>/var/diskless/dlclient0 are in the same physical partition.  Further,
>I have a symbolic link from /var/diskless to /home/machine/diskless.

Symbolic links won't work across NFS.  I believe the problem is the
same as the one mentioned earlier here.  You need to allow root
"access/use" for the actual partition you are using from remote
systems for mounting root.  It doesn't sound like you are.

Fred

hafner@bach.csg.uiuc.edu (Brian J. Hafner) (05/27/89)

In article <1094@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> hafner@bach.csg.uiuc.edu.UUCP (Brian J. Hafner) writes:

>I'm having trouble booting a diskless monochrome Vax Station 3200 off
>of a uVax II running 3.0.  It down loads the operating system fine,
>recognizes its devices, mounts root, mounts swap, and hangs.  The last message
>states the swap size: 32000+ blocks (16M).  Both /var/diskless/dlenv0 and
>/var/diskless/dlclient0 are in the same physical partition.  Further,
>I have a symbolic link from /var/diskless to /home/machine/diskless.
>The server has two ethernet interfaces, but I ran dms with only the
>client net interface configured (I also took the other internet address out
>of yp and the local /etc/hosts).
>
>I have tried the /etc/exports fix posted by Hurf Sheldon at Chris
>Siebenmann's suggestion.  It didn't seem to help.

Well, I managed to get the diskless workstations to boot.  I removed
the symbolic link for dlclient0 and put it back into /var (it barely fit).
I think if I had messed with /etc/exports enough, I could of forced
the beasties to boot with dlclient0 in /home/machine/diskless/dlclient0.

After they booted for the first time, I modified the client's fstab
and the servers /etc/exports so I could mount the server's /usr on
the client's /usr (instead of /var/diskless/dlenv0/root0.vax).
Why DEC thinks there should always be two seperate /usr partitions,
I have no idea.

Many thanks to those who made suggestions.