[comp.unix.ultrix] RA81 on a 3500?

jeff1@garfield.MUN.EDU (Jeff Sparkes) (05/25/89)

	Does anybody know if it's possible to hook an RA81 to a 3500
running Ultrix 2.2?  The disk certainly plugs in, but we can't seem to
configure the kernel to recognize it.  Anybody done it or know that
it's impossible?
--
Jeff Sparkes	jeff1@garfield.mun.edu || uunet!garfield!jeff1

In article <5201@garfield.MUN.EDU> jeff1@garfield.MUN.EDU (Jeff Sparkes) writes:

> 	Does anybody know if it's possible to hook an RA81 to a 3500
> running Ultrix 2.2?  The disk certainly plugs in, but we can't seem to
> configure the kernel to recognize it.  Anybody done it or know that
> it's impossible?

	I don't see why not - config isn't noted for consistancy checking
and the generic ra driver that officially supports the ra70's on the 3500
is the same one that does ra80's on 3600's.  See 'man ra' for the prototype
config file entries.  If it still objects, you might try specifying both
MVAX and VAX3600 for the 'cpu' entries in the config file.

  Disclaimer: I once saw what I think was a Microvax from a great distance...

jeff1@garfield.MUN.EDU (Jeff Sparkes) (05/30/89)

In article <5201@garfield.MUN.EDU> jeff1@garfield.MUN.EDU (Jeff Sparkes) writes:
>   Does anybody know if it's possible to hook an RA81 to a 3500
>running Ultrix 2.2?  The disk certainly plugs in, but we can't seem to
>configure the kernel to recognize it.  Anybody done it or know that
>it's impossible?

The answer turns out to be fairly simple.  In the upper left corner is
a group of four connectors.  Connector 0 is used for the internal
RA70, and is not connected.  When we plugged our disk into slot 1, all
was fine.  Thanks for the help!
--
Jeff Sparkes	jeff1@garfield.mun.edu || uunet!garfield!jeff1