[comp.unix.ultrix] Gnodes...

mtsu@blake.acs.washington.edu (Montana State) (05/25/89)

Is there some tunable parameter that will give me more gnodes??  I have
an application that generates 'File table overflow' followed by
out of gnodes messages...  I assume I'm missing an fclose() somewhere,
but danged if I know where...  While we're on the subject... are gnodes
abstractions of inodes??

marco@buengc.BU.EDU (Marco Zelada) (05/26/89)

In article <2162@blake.acs.washington.edu> mtsu@blake.UUCP (Montana State) writes:
>Is there some tunable parameter that will give me more gnodes??  I have
>an application that generates 'File table overflow' followed by
>out of gnodes messages...  I assume I'm missing an fclose() somewhere,
>but danged if I know where...  While we're on the subject... are gnodes
>abstractions of inodes??

	I had the same problem on a uVax II and I fixed it by increasing
the number of users parameter in the /sys/conf/`hostname | tr a-z A-Z` file.

	Just change the "maxusers" parameter and regenerate the kernel.

	Reguards.

| Name:	Marco Zelada, VLSI CAD Engineer	  | Tel: 617 353 9882, Fax: 353 6322 |
| Lab:	VLSI CAD Laboratory               | E-mail: marco@buengc.bu.edu      |
| Dept: Electrical & Computer Engineering | US-Mail: 44 Cummington St.	     |
| Org:  Boston University                 |	     Boston MA, 02215	     |

In article <2162@blake.acs.washington.edu> mtsu@blake.UUCP (Montana State) writes:
>  ...  While we're on the subject... are gnodes
> abstractions of inodes??

Yeah.  gnodes are extensions of Suns vnodes which are extensions of the
traditional inodes.  On disk, you still have inodes, in the traditional
mode, but in memory there is an association with a "filesystem switch"
that allows supporting both NFS and Berkeley filesystems in a parallel
fashion.  In theory you could have any number of filesystems and types
are defined for BSD, NFS, System V, VMS, MSDOS and one or two others,
however DEC doesn't seem to have done much with these and has provided
no sample code that might allow a user to play with the facility.

See "man gnode" for a random sample of information.

david@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (David Robinson) (06/01/89)

In article <6990@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <2162@blake.acs.washington.edu> mtsu@blake.UUCP (Montana State) writes:
>>  ...  While we're on the subject... are gnodes
>> abstractions of inodes??

>Yeah.  gnodes are extensions of Suns vnodes which are extensions of the
>traditional inodes.

I understand vnodes quite well, could someone explain in detail the
differences between a gnode and a vnode, I assume DEC didn't just
make gratuitous changes.

If you can't supply the detail, could someone point me at any papers
on the topic or even mail me copies of the applicable ".h" files
so I can compare them with the vnode ".h" files?

--
	David Robinson		elroy!david@csvax.caltech.edu     ARPA
				david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov	  ARPA

treese@cirocco.crl.dec.com (Win Treese) (06/03/89)

In article <16312@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, david@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (David Robinson) writes:

> If you can't supply the detail, could someone point me at any papers
> on the topic or even mail me copies of the applicable ".h" files
> so I can compare them with the vnode ".h" files?

See "The Generic Filesystem" by R. Rodriguez, M. Koehler, and R. Hyde,
in the Summer '86 USENIX Proceedings.  If you don't have a copy available,
I can probably send you a copy if you send me your US Mail address.

Win Treese						Cambridge Research Lab
treese@crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.