[comp.unix.ultrix] Using .Xdefaults for emacs on DS3100

te07@edrc.cmu.edu (Thomas Epperly) (06/05/89)

I have been trying to change the default font for GNU emacs by adding a
line to my ~/.Xdefaults as suggested by the emacs man page.  I am running
GNU emacs from DECwindows.  Below are the lines that I added to the
~/.Xdefaults file, and I tried logging out and login in again after making
the additions.

emacs.BodyFont: 9x15
emacs.ReverseVideo: on
emacs.BitMapIcon: on

This had no effect.  I tried changing some of the other defaults too, like
ReverseVideo and BitMapIcon; and this did not do anything either.  I can
get the desired font by executing emacs with the -font 9x15 option, but I
would like to figure out why what I have tried did not work.  Our manuals
have not arrived yet, so excuse me if I am asking a stupid question.
Please let me know what I am doing wrong or how to do it right.

Thanks,
Tom Epperly
te07@cs.cmu.edu or epperly@chewi.che.wisc.edu

--

pinkas@hobbit.intel.com (Israel Pinkas ~) (06/09/89)

In article <5117@pt.cs.cmu.edu> te07@edrc.cmu.edu (Thomas Epperly) writes:

> I have been trying to change the default font for GNU emacs by adding a
> line to my ~/.Xdefaults as suggested by the emacs man page.  I am running
> GNU emacs from DECwindows.  Below are the lines that I added to the
> ~/.Xdefaults file, and I tried logging out and login in again after making
> the additions.
>
> emacs.BodyFont: 9x15
> emacs.ReverseVideo: on
> emacs.BitMapIcon: on
>
> This had no effect.  I tried changing some of the other defaults too, like
> ReverseVideo and BitMapIcon; and this did not do anything either.  I can
> get the desired font by executing emacs with the -font 9x15 option, but I
> would like to figure out why what I have tried did not work.  Our manuals
> have not arrived yet, so excuse me if I am asking a stupid question.
> Please let me know what I am doing wrong or how to do it right.

Since you are on a DS3100, you probably have Ultrix 3.0 or 3.1 with UWS
(X11).  The X11 version of the GNU Emacs code accepts the following
defaults.  (This is from x11term.c.)

static struct _xdeftab xDefaultsValueTable[]
 = {
     { "reverseVideo",  "ReverseVideo",         &temp_reverseVideo },
     { "borderWidth",   "BorderWidth",          &temp_borderWidth },
     { "internalBorder","BorderWidth",          &temp_internalBorder },
     { "borderColor",   "BorderColor",          &brdr_color },
     { "background",    "Background",           &back_color },
     { "foreground",    "Foreground",           &fore_color },
     { "pointerColor",  "Foreground",           &mous_color },
     { "cursorColor",   "Foreground",           &curs_color },
     { "font",          "Font",                 &temp_font },
     { "geometry",      "Geometry",             &desiredwindow },
     { "title",         "Title",                &XXheader },
     { "iconName",      "Title",                &XXicon_name },
     { NULL,            NULL,                   NULL }
   };

As can be seen, Emacs will look for Font or font.  Emasc uses tries the
name in the first column, and if the lookup fails, then the name in the
second column.  For a class name, Emacs uses the default of Emacs, and
overrides that with the instance name, which is one of a number of things
like argv[0], something names with -rn. etc.  See the code for x_term_init
in the same file.

As an example, here is what I use:

Emacs*Background: black
Emacs*BorderColor: green
Emacs*BorderWidth: 2
Emacs*cursorColor: red
Emacs*Font: 9x15
Emacs*Foreground: green
Emacs*Geometry: =80x55-0+0
Emacs*internalBorder: 1
Emacs*pointerColor: red
Emacs*ReverseVideo: off

There is also a lisp function names x-get-default that I have used.

Enjoy,

-Israel Pinkas
--
Disclaimer: The above are my personal opinions, and in no way represent

UUCP:	{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel}!intelca!mipos3!cadev4!pinkas
ARPA:	pinkas%cadev4.intel.com@relay.cs.net
CSNET:	pinkas@cadev4.intel.com