[comp.unix.ultrix] VS3100 printer

bobk@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Bob Kinne) (06/10/89)

Bob Kinne	 	Optoelectronics Computing Center
UCB, Campus Box 525	VOICE		(303) 492-3330
Boulder, CO 80309	INTERNET	bobk@boulder.Colorado.EDU
I am configuring a VAXstation 3100 to attach a LN03R (PostScript)
printer.  I have tried duplicating exactly the setup used on
a VS2000 for  the same printer, but without success.  All print
jobs are sent to the spool directory and queued without any
error messages of any kind.  The status reports the printer is
running, but no transmission occurs.  The /etc/ttys entry has been
set to 4800 baud, and tried both on and off.  The device file
/dev/tty03 is set rw for all, owner root.  The printcap specifies
the ln03r filter for input and output (converts ASCII to PostScript).
The lpd daemon and a getty on the tty are running.  The spool
directory is owned by root, the init and lock files by daemon, with
group system for all.  Can anyone give me any help and advice on
what is wrong, or what else to try?  Thanks very much.

In article <9313@boulder.Colorado.EDU> bobk@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Bob Kinne) writes:
> I am configuring a VAXstation 3100 to attach a LN03R (PostScript)
> printer...
> the ln03r filter for input and output (converts ASCII to PostScript).
> The lpd daemon and a getty on the tty are running.
			^^^
			 |---- say what!

You definitly don't want that getty running - even it you can output to
the printer, the getty will suck up any responses coming from the printer.

Did you specify an error log file in the printcap entry?  Once and a while
illuminating messages show up there.  You can also specify /dev/console
for the error log if you wish...

One other useful trick for debugging printer problems is to stick a terminal
there instead of a modem.  That will at least show you if there is some
kind of action, instead of just having the printer sit there and act stupid.