[comp.unix.ultrix] Yellow Pages

cathy@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Cathy Accettura) (06/14/89)

I am running Ultrix 3.0 on three microvax II machines.  I have
it set up so that Larry (one of the microvax's) is the master
and Daryl is a slave server.  The third microvax is a client.

I assume that Larry would be the server unless Larry is down.
Unfortunetly when I do a ypwhich is says Daryl not Larry.

Is there anyway to switch who is in the master roll manually?

I have poured over the docs without success.

Thanks in advance
Cathy Accettura
Space Astronomy Lab
cathy@larry.sal.wisc.edu

john@amc-gw.UUCP (John Sambrook) (06/14/89)

[ Please note that amc.com is still in the registration process at the
  SRI-NIC.  Please reply to "amc-gw!john@uunet.uu.net."  Thank you. ]

In article <198@larry.sal.wisc.edu> cathy@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Cathy Accettura) writes:
>I am running Ultrix 3.0 on three microvax II machines.  I have
>it set up so that Larry (one of the microvax's) is the master
>and Daryl is a slave server.  The third microvax is a client.
>
>I assume that Larry would be the server unless Larry is down.
>Unfortunetly when I do a ypwhich is says Daryl not Larry.
>
>Is there anyway to switch who is in the master roll manually?
>
>I have poured over the docs without success.

You can use /etc/yp/ypset to (attempt to) specify which machine is
currently serving YP to your client, however, there is no guarantee
that the binding will "stick."  If the machine you bind to goes down,
or even goes away for a little while you may find YP rebinding to a
different (YP server) host.

Unless you have an unusual configuration I don't know of any reason
to attempt to force a particular machine to be the YP server for a
given client.

At least in my distribution of Ultrix 3.0 I can't find a manual page
for ypset(8).  The usage is simple though:

    # /etc/yp/ypset host

Hope this helps,

John Sambrook                        Internet: amc-gw!john@uunet.uu.net
Applied Microsystems Corporation	 UUCP: amc-gw!john
Redmond, Washington  98073               Dial: (206) 882-2000 ext. 630

--
John Sambrook                        Internet: amc!john@uunet.uu.net
Applied Microsystems Corporation	 UUCP: amc!john