[comp.unix.ultrix] Mail interfaces for Ultrix

rainwatr@ucqais.uc.edu (Donald J. Rainwater) (06/16/89)

	We're about to start letting users on to our Ultrix system.  Many of
them will require electronic mail to various places, including sites on
BITNET.  What we need is something that will handle this type of mail with
as little trouble as possible for the users (I guess trouble for me is okay).

	Can anyone recommend any mail-handling packages for Ultrix?  I have
a copy of MMDFII, Release B (from 1986) - is this package worth using?  Is
there a more recent version?  I've also heard that there is something called
MH 6.6.  How do these packages compare?  Where can I get them?  Is there
something better?

	Thanks for any info.

--
Don Rainwater, University of Cincinnati Computer Center
rainwatr@ucbeh.san.uc.edu

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (06/20/89)

In article <1697@ucqais.uc.edu> rainwatr@ucqais.uc.edu (Donald J. Rainwater) writes:
>	Can anyone recommend any mail-handling packages for Ultrix?  I have
>a copy of MMDFII, Release B (from 1986) - is this package worth using?

er... yes

>Is
>there a more recent version?

Yes.  There's a bunch of patches files, 37 right now soon to be quite a
few more as soon as I finish this batch, ftp'able from sh.cs.net.  It
works fine on Ultrix.

>I've also heard that there is something called
>MH 6.6.  How do these packages compare?  Where can I get them?  Is there
>something better?

They don't really.  MH is a mail User Agent and MMDF is a Mail Transfer
Agent.  MMDF compares to sendmail and is, I feel, easier to configure
and overall a nicer system.  MH compares to ucbmail/Mail/mail that comes
with the system and I don't use either one so I won't say anything.  MH
is meant more for someone who gets a *LOT* of mail and wants a way to
conveniently arrange the mail.

--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET