[comp.unix.ultrix] Multiple LAT service names

rainwatr@ucqais.uc.edu (Donald J. Rainwater) (06/21/89)

	We have several VAXen on campus, most of which run VMS.  These all
offer two LAT services each - one is the node name and the other is the first
letter of the node name.  For example, node ABCDEF offers two services -
ABCDEF and A.  Both services provide equal access to the users, so typing
"C A" at the Local> prompt is the same as typing "C ABCDEF".

	We would like to provide this same "service name alias" for our
Ultrix 3.0 system.  Is this possible?

--
Don Rainwater, University of Cincinnati Computer Center
rainwatr@ucbeh.san.uc.edu

thomas@mipsbx.nac.dec.com (Matt Thomas) (06/21/89)

> 	We would like to provide this same "service name alias" for our
> Ultrix 3.0 system.  Is this possible?

Nope.  Sorry but it just isn't possible.
--
Matt Thomas                     Internet:   thomas@decwrl.dec.com
DECnet-Ultrix Development       UUCP:       ...!decwrl!thomas

ecf_hap@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Andrew Poling) (06/23/89)

In article <1701@ucqais.uc.edu> rainwatr@ucqais.uc.edu (Donald J. Rainwater) writes:

>	We have several VAXen on campus, most of which run VMS.  These all
>offer two LAT services each - one is the node name and the other is the first
>letter of the node name.  For example, node ABCDEF offers two services -
>ABCDEF and A.  Both services provide equal access to the users, so typing
>"C A" at the Local> prompt is the same as typing "C ABCDEF".
>
>	We would like to provide this same "service name alias" for our
>Ultrix 3.0 system.  Is this possible?

According to the manuals, this is a trivial operation.  In practice, I have
yet to manage to get lcp to swallow anything but single-service
specifications.  I'd like to have BOTH the telnet gateway and normal LAT
terminal service available.

Has anyone figured it out?  I've tried some subtle variations on the
procedures given in the manuals to absolutely no avail.

Andy

--
Andy Poling						andy@gollum.hcf.jhu.edu
Network Services Group					ecf_hap@jhunix.UUCP

In article <1972@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ecf_hap@jhunix.UUCP (Andrew Poling) writes:
> In article <1701@ucqais.uc.edu> rainwatr@ucqais.uc.edu (Donald J. Rainwater) writes:
> >
> >	We have several VAXen on campus, most of which run VMS.  These all
> >offer two LAT services each...
>
> According to the manuals, this is a trivial operation.  In practice, I have
> yet to manage to get lcp to swallow anything but single-service
> specifications.  I'd like to have BOTH the telnet gateway and normal LAT
> terminal service available.

Hmmm...  There's no real problem excpept for the bogus syntax for specifying
lists of terminals and the implicit association of the -v's and -V's.  The
biggest problem from my point of view is you can only specify seven services
plus yerself.  I'd modified the sample program so that it would run an
arbitrary program specified in the /etc/ttys entry and was rather irritated
that I couldn't advertise all the services I wanted to...

Oh yeah...  the description in the manual is a bit confusing - you *don't*
want to reserve the ports with -h or -H, they're just "normal" lat lines,
not reserved or anything...

Note that the original user wanted wasn't just multiple services, instead
he wanted service synonyms...  This doesn't seem to be possible excecpt
by cooking up a bunch of extra lat terminals/logins and having half use
one name and half the other.  If you try to assign a lat tty to more than
one services, only the last one sticks.

Anyway, here's the script I run from rc.local to start up lat:

#
# Start the LAT server (must start AFTER DECnet)
# the -h guys are for LAT attached printers
#
if [ -f /etc/lcp ]; then
echo "Starting LAT Services"			 > /dev/console 2>&1
/etc/lcp -s \
	-h /dev/ttyNf,/dev/ttyNe,/dev/ttyNd,/dev/ttyNc \
	-v `hostname` \
	-V "Ultrix VAX 11/785" \
	-v crunch:/dev/ttyXc,/dev/ttyXd,/dev/ttyXe,/dev/ttyXf \
	-V "Sun 4 LSI Design" \
	-v macjon:/dev/ttyX2,/dev/ttyX3 \
	-V "4.3 BSD Tahoe 11/570" \
	-v megafs:/dev/ttyX0,/dev/ttyX1 \
	-V "MOS Megatest Sun" \
	-v fortune:/dev/ttyX4,/dev/ttyX5 \
	-V "Your Fate..." \
	-v mentor:/dev/ttyXa,/dev/ttyXb \
	-V "Mentor Ring" \
	-v vps:/dev/ttyX9 \
	-V "Versatec Plotter Server" \
	-v telnet:/dev/ttyX6,/dev/ttyX7,/dev/ttyX8 \
	-V "TCP/IP Terminal Service" \
						> /dev/console 2>&1
fi
exit 0

Here are my /etc/ttys entries - if I were using lattelnet it'd be similar:

#
#	terminal running lat redirection
#
ttyX0	"/usr/remote/bin/latexec telnet megafs"	vt100 on # LAT
ttyX1	"/usr/remote/bin/latexec telnet megafs"	vt100 on # LAT
ttyX2	"/usr/remote/bin/latexec telnet macjon"	vt100 on # LAT
ttyX3	"/usr/remote/bin/latexec telnet macjon"	vt100 on # LAT
ttyX4	"/usr/remote/bin/latexec telnet megasun" vt100 on # LAT
ttyX5	"/usr/remote/bin/latexec telnet megasun" vt100 on # LAT
ttyX6	"/usr/remote/bin/latexec telnet"	vt100 on # LAT
ttyX7	"/usr/remote/bin/latexec telnet"	vt100 on # LAT
ttyX8	"/usr/remote/bin/latexec telnet"	vt100 on # LAT
ttyX9	"/usr/remote/bin/latexec telnet vps"	vt100 on # LAT
ttyXa	"/usr/remote/bin/latexec fortune"	vt100 on # LAT
ttyXb	"/usr/remote/bin/latexec fortune"	vt100 on # LAT
ttyXc	"/usr/remote/bin/latexec telnet crunch"	vt100 on # LAT
ttyXd	"/usr/remote/bin/latexec telnet crunch"	vt100 on # LAT
ttyXe	"/usr/remote/bin/latexec telnet crunch"	vt100 on # LAT
ttyXf	"/usr/remote/bin/latexec telnet crunch"	vt100 on # LAT