[comp.unix.ultrix] mail11-problem?

plank@tuvie (Friedrich Plank) (06/28/89)

I have the need to send messages to a 'pmdf'-mailer on a VMS-machine via
mail11 (DECNET). I'm running ULTRIX V3.0 and V2.2. In both versions I get
the same error-message when I specify the following adress:

	AUNIW::IN%"plank@egh780.una.at"
where 'AUNIW' is a DECNET-node and 'IN%'should activate the 'pmdf'-mailer.
The same syntax works fine from VMS.
Has anybody had this problem? (... error parsing IN ..-see trace below)
Exists there any docomentation for 'mail11' or 'mail11v3'?
How must I specify the 'USER' for these mailers that they don't parse them?
Thanks for help at this problem!
Please send Mail to:

	plank@tuvie.at

Thanks,
F.Plank

*******************************trace starts here*****************************

Subject: Cc: auniw::"in%plank@egh780.una.at"... Connecting to auniw.Dmail...
220 Mail-11_V3.0 DECnet-ULTRIX Mail-11 Mailer
>>> HELO eutest.tuwien.ac.at
250 Mail-11_V3.0 DECnet-ULTRIX Mail-11 Mailer
>>> MULT
250 Ok, will give multiple status for DATA.
>>> HEAD
354 Ok, give me a sneak peak at the message
>>> .
210-Passthru capsar message MAIL_MESSAGE
250 Thanks, come again!
>>> MAIL From:<guest>
250 Connected to node auniw
>>> RCPT To:<"in%plank@egh780.una.at">
554-"IN%PLANK@EGH780.UNA.AT"; %MAIL-E-SYNTAX, error parsing 'IN'
554
auniw::"in%plank@egh780.una.at"... Service unavailable
>>> QUIT
250 DECnet-ULTRIX Mail11 exiting.  Come Again.

************************************END****************************************

moore@CYGNUSX1.CS.UTK.EDU (Keith Moore) (06/29/89)

In article <713@tuvie> plank@tuvie (Friedrich Plank) writes:

>I have the need to send messages to a 'pmdf'-mailer on a VMS-machine via
>mail11 (DECNET). I'm running ULTRIX V3.0 and V2.2. In both versions I get
>the same error-message when I specify the following adress:
>
>	AUNIW::IN%"plank@egh780.una.at"
>where 'AUNIW' is a DECNET-node and 'IN%'should activate the 'pmdf'-mailer.
>The same syntax works fine from VMS.
>Has anybody had this problem? (... error parsing IN ..-see trace below)
>Exists there any docomentation for 'mail11' or 'mail11v3'?
>How must I specify the 'USER' for these mailers that they don't parse them?
>Thanks for help at this problem!
>Please send Mail to:
>
>	plank@tuvie.at
>
>Thanks,
>F.Plank

Yes, we've had the problem, also.  My solution: I rewrote the mail11
and mail11d programs.  My version of mail11 is smart about VMS-style
foreign protocol addresses; for example, it rewrites <proto%user@domain>
as <PROTO%"user@domain">.  It's also usable with vanilla sendmail, since it
doesn't speak the undocumented version of SMTP that DEC's version uses.
It runs on Suns as well as VAXen.  It generates reply addresses in a
manner similar to PMDF.

We've been using it locally for several months with no problems.

Send mail to one of the addresses below if you want a copy.

--
Keith Moore			Internet: moore@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu
University of Tenn. CS Dept.	BITNET: moore@utkvx