[comp.unix.ultrix] RIS...

hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike Marshall) (07/05/89)

SITUATION: I want to install ULTRIX on a DECstaion 3100 using ris(8).
           My server is a VAX 8810 running ULTRIX 3.0.
           I am using "Guide to Server Setup for RISC and VAX processors",
           chapter 3, "Setting Up for Remote Installation Service" as
           a reference to help me set up my 8810 as a server.

PROBLEM: Several things look screwy when I try to do the install:

         * When I type "boot -f mop()" on the DECstation I get...

               reject, source: 08-00-2b-0b-cd-90, server: aa-00-04-00-04-04
               Ultrixload - V3.0....
                  (wait 30 seconds or so... )
               read I/O error: retries execeeded
               Host server is ''
               reject, source: aa-00-04-00-04-04, server: 08-00-2b-0b-cd-90
                  (normal looking ULTRIX boot spooge...)

               Obviously these "reject" messages are trying to tell me
               something...

               08-00-2b-0b-cd-90 is the tcp/ip flavored ethernet address of
                                 the 8810 I am using as a server (ni0).
               aa-00-04-00-04-04 is the DECnet flavored ethernet address of
                                 the 8810 (ni1).

         * The install script bombs out at the following point:

               The installation procedure is now restoring the root file
               system to partition 'a' of the system disk, rz3 RZ55.
               -l: unknown host

               I looked into the install script at this point, and it
               has just made a new filesystem on the RZ55's a partition,
               and is attempting to use rsh to suck down the ROOT file
               from the server. I'm not surprised it failed since it thinks
               " Host server is '' ". BUT... I'm not sure how this would
               ever work, since rsh is hardwired into /usr/ucb/rlogin,
               WHICH DOESN'T EXIST ON THE WORKSTATION's "miniroot".

DEC support can't offer any solutions. They gave me the impression that
they think the installation should be so easy that any idiot should be able
to do it, and that I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I am doing
something wrong... so what? Their job is to set me straight. I don't
know what they expect me to do now... I guess they think I'm going to
just shove the DECstation aside and forget about it.

At any rate, now I am asking the NET to do DEC's job... if anyone thinks
they know what I might be doing wrong, or has any suggestions that might
help me get this thing running, please drop me a line.

-Mike Marshall     hubcap@clemson.edu         803.656.3155

jsdy@dtix.ARPA (Joseph S. D. Yao) (07/07/89)

In article <5922@hubcap.clemson.edu> hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike Marshall) writes:
>SITUATION: I want to install ULTRIX on a DECstaion 3100 using ris(8).
>           My server is a VAX 8810 running ULTRIX 3.0.

Which, of course, the DEC documentation says is impossible.  Which, of
course, we did.  Our server, though, is a DECsystem 3100 with lots of
disc but no display card.

>PROBLEM: Several things look screwy when I try to do the install:

Possibly you loaded something odd when you loaded RIS onto your 8810?
Does RIS work for other VAXen?  I really don't know what's going on
with the rejected addresses.  (DEC should be able to tell you what
their own error messages mean!  Press them on it, if you have a war-
ranty - which you should do - or software service, until they go up
their internal ladder and come down with an answer.  Then, of course,
you have to figure out whether the answer's correct or not.)

>               The installation procedure is now restoring the root file
>               system to partition 'a' of the system disk, rz3 RZ55.
>               -l: unknown host

Check that ~ris/.rhosts on the server is owned by ris, group ris.
Betcha it's still root/system.  This is an afterwards-obvious problem,
caused by DEC saying, "Oh, well, let's just have them run the RIS
install as root 'cause it's easier, and then change everything back to
be owned by RIS."  Guess what, guys, it only works 99.9% - and the 0.1%
is what's killing this Customer of Yours!

One should NEVER, EVER, EVER do ANYTHING as user 'root' that doesn't
ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, NO WAY IN H#!! IT CAN'T BE DONE OTHERWISE, have
to be done that way.  (Is that sufficiently emphatic?)  One is never
1000% certain of the consequences.  Further, one should never force
one's Gentle Customers (money-paying types, you know, the ones that end
up financing your salaries) to do this Wicked Thing.

Thank you for the use of the soapbox; hope this fixes at least that
stage of the problem; sorry if the little lecture offends anyone - but
I stand by my position.

Joseph S. D. Yao
Hadron, Inc.:	hadron!jsdy@uunet.UU.NET
		(consulting at jsdy@dtix.ARPA)