[comp.unix.ultrix] Smoking Decstation 3100's

patr@osiris.UUCP (Patrick Barta) (07/11/89)

	Mike Marshall, hubcap@clemson.edu, writes about his new Decstation 3100:

>After I got the OS installed, everything was great. For about two hours.
>Then something in the system unit fried. I'm starting to think that maybe
>I'm not well suited to using modern electronic equipment... maybe I should
>just dig out that old Silent-700 and use it for a terminal :-).

	Our new Decstation also smoked itself after 3 days.  The power
supply was replaced ( 2 day wait for parts), then the system board
(3 day wait for parts) and then even after that the machine was still
flaky (10 days, thought to be fried backplane) and after much ranting and raving
we got DEC to promise to give us a new machine.

	Does anybody know if something's wrong with DEC's QA on this
new machine?

--
                              ...!decvax!decuac -
Patrick Barta                                     \

mikem+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Meyer) (07/11/89)

So far I've been directly involved in installing 10 Decstation 3100's.
Apart from problems in loadig the software the machines have worked
flawlessly for the past 2.5 months.
From my perspective the Quality control on these machines has been very
good.
                            Michael M. Meyer
                      Statistics/Academic Computing
                       Carnegie Mellon University.

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (07/12/89)

In article <2914@osiris.UUCP> patr@osiris.UUCP (Patrick Barta) writes:
>Our new Decstation also smoked itself after 3 days. [problem
>description deleted] ...  Does anybody know if something's wrong with
>DEC's QA on this new machine?

Yes: they are selling too fast.

  :-)

More seriously: DEC Field Service always takes a while to learn how
to fix new machines.  (Some DEC FSpersons% never learn.  We happen to
have a good VAX FScreature%%.  We do not have enough experience with
our DS3100 FSobject%%% to say anything about it yet.)
-----
% Nonsexist pronoun
%% Nonhumanist pronoun
%%% Nonamimist pronoun
-----

Anyway, we have had problems with a few VR monitors and with one
power supply fan in one RZ55.  That is not too bad, given the number
of DS3100s that appeared here recently.