[comp.unix.ultrix] Simple questions about Ultrix

kovar@popvax.harvard.edu (115800@David C. Kovar) (07/11/89)

  Good day,
  I've inherited two Vax 8200s, a VAXstation 2000, no software contract,
and no manuals to speak of. So, I've a few questions:

1) What type of terminal can the 260 monitor emulate? I've been told that
   it acts like a hardcopy terminal until you toss a window manager on it.
   It certainly refuses to emulate a VT100 or anything reasonable. Any
   fix for this?

2) Is there some standard window manager that comes with 3.0 that will
   run on the 2000? Yes, I'm aware of DecWindows but it is not on the
   system. I really want to be able to use all this window real estate
   in some reasonable way.

3) Can a DECstation (not VAXstation) 2000 with a 33MB disk run Ultrix?
   I assume that if it can run Ultrix off of a local disk it could
   behave as my VAXstation does and boot off of some other machine.

Thank you, in advance, for answering some very basic questions.

-David C. Kovar
	Technical Consultant			ARPA: kovar@popvax.harvard.edu
	Office of Information Technology	BITNET: corwin@harvarda.bitnet
	Harvard University			MacNET: DKovar
						Ma Bell: 617-732-1778

"It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (07/11/89)

In article <2195@husc6.harvard.edu> kovar@popvax.harvard.edu (115800@David C. Kovar) writes:

>  I've inherited two Vax 8200s, a VAXstation 2000, no software contract,
>and no manuals to speak of. So, I've a few questions:

What software is on these machines?

>1) What type of terminal can the 260 monitor emulate? I've been told that
>   it acts like a hardcopy terminal until you toss a window manager on it.
>   It certainly refuses to emulate a VT100 or anything reasonable. Any
>   fix for this?

No smarts, running a window manager with terminal emulator fixes this.
(I am 90% sure of this)

>2) Is there some standard window manager that comes with 3.0 that will
>   run on the 2000? Yes, I'm aware of DecWindows but it is not on the
>   system. I really want to be able to use all this window real estate
>   in some reasonable way.

What *is* on the system?  3.0 is a version of ULTRIX, but not the
ULTRIX Worksystem Software (UWS).  Standard X11 from MIT will work
as well.  You need some W/S S/W to be able to drive the graphics
screen.

>3) Can a DECstation (not VAXstation) 2000 with a 33MB disk run Ultrix?
>   I assume that if it can run Ultrix off of a local disk it could
>   behave as my VAXstation does and boot off of some other machine.

The 33MB disk is too small to be used by the system, although you
could use it for /tmp and swap (for example). You can run diskless.
But as there is no such thing as a DECstation2000 so I am not sure to
what you refer.

Fred

D. Allen [CGL]) (07/18/89)

>>3) Can a DECstation (not VAXstation) 2000 with a 33MB disk run Ultrix?
>The 33MB disk is too small to be used by the system, although you
>could use it for /tmp and swap (for example).

Although it is not recommended, you can actually squeeze Ultrix 3.0 onto a
VS2000 with just a single RD32 (41MB).  It works a little better if you
first use chpt to increase the swap partition ("b") to, say,  10MB from
the default 7MB:

/dev/rrd0a
Current partition table:
partition     bottom        top       size    overlap
    a              0      15883      15884    c,f,h
    b          15884      36363      20480    c,d
    c              0      83203      83204    a,b,d,e,f,g,h
    d          31509      57371      25863    b,c,g
    e          57372      83203      25832    c,g
    f              0          0          0    a,c,h
    g          36364      83203      46840    c,d,e
    h              0          0          0    a,c,f

The RIS network boot software quite rightly refuses to recognize the
RD32 as a suitable system disk, so you have to drop out of the script
and do the mkfs stuff for the disk by hand, then copy in the software
you need.  I don't like to wait for the setld installation, so I copy
everything from a master host on the net that has the configuration I
want.  From the RIS miniroot I do "mount /dev/rd0a /mnt && cd /mnt &&
rsh masterhost sync ';' dump 0f - / | restore rf -" to get the root
file system, and do a similar rsh for the /usr file system.  I change
the name of the machine in /etc/rc.local, remove or truncate extraneous
log files and syserr files, touch up /etc/fstab if I need to, boot the
new machine and rebuild the sendmail.fc file.  I don't have room for
the X software (we run MIT X), so I get it over NFS from the masterhost.

Subset		Status		Description
======		======		===========
ULTACCT030      installed	Accounting Software
ULTBASE030      installed	Base System
ULTINET030      installed	TCP/IP Networking Utilities
ULTNFS030       installed	Network File System Utilities
ULTUMAIL030     installed	Extended (Berkeley) Mailer

Filesystem     Total    kbytes   kbytes   %
node           kbytes   used     free     used  Mounted on
/dev/rd0a         7439    4308    2388    64%   /
/dev/rd0g        21775   17672    1926    90%   /usr

10240k swap configured
	5668k used (1399k text, 0k smem)
	4570k free, 1595k wasted, 2k missing
avail: 7*512k 3*256k 1*64k 1*32k 3*16k 74*1k
--
-IAN! (Ian! D. Allen) IDAllen@watcgl.UWaterloo.CA IDAllen@watcgl.Waterloo.edu
 Computer Graphics Lab    University of Waterloo    Ontario, Canada