[comp.unix.ultrix] How does lpr know printer is offline?

bill@fedeva.UUCP (Bill Daniels) (07/21/89)

We have a Printronix P300 serial printer connected to an Ultrix MicroVAX
3800 via a CXY08 8-line RS232 controller.  Which of the RS232 signals
is monitored by the lpr print spooler to recognize that the printer is
off-line?  The printer can be configured to drop either CTS or DTR.
The printer can also send an XOFF (dc1/^S) but this seems to be ineffective
if the spooler is not in active communications with the printer; I guess
nothing has the port open for read at the time in order to pick up the
software flow control character.

We are really trying to avoid a situation in which the printer is placed
offline while the spooler is inactive and a print job queued while the printer
is still offline.  In this case the spooler goes merrily about its way of
dumping a bunch of stuff to the printer which isn't expecting it, doesn't
know that it has started, and consequently loses the job.

We also have available DECserver 200/MC ports across LAT if that will help
with a solution.
--
bill daniels
federal express, memphis, tn

In article <463@fedeva.UUCP> bill@fedeva.UUCP (Bill Daniels) writes:
> We have a Printronix P300 serial printer connected to an Ultrix MicroVAX
> 3800 via a CXY08 8-line RS232 controller.  Which of the RS232 signals
> is monitored by the lpr print spooler to recognize that the printer is
> off-line?  The printer can be configured to drop either CTS or DTR.
> The printer can also send an XOFF (dc1/^S) but this seems to be ineffective
> if the spooler is not in active communications with the printer; I guess
> nothing has the port open for read at the time in order to pick up the
> software flow control character.

"offline" is relative in this case.  If you have the serial port configured
for modem control (flags in config file and possible mode bits in the
/etc/printcap file) then you should be able to use the "drop CTS" option
to effect a form of hardware flow control.  You might also be able to
cross-wire the printers "DTR" line to your "DSR" and/or "CD" line which
would make attempts to "open" the printer hang/fail while it is offline.

None of this is really printer specific, it's just taking advangage of
some of the stuff supported by (some of) the serial drivers/interfaces.
If you enable "modem control", you generally need to connect DSR, CD, and
possible CTS to some signals to make sure they are "asserted" as if there
were really a modem attached.