[comp.unix.ultrix] Cpio problems

stevem@pserv.UUCP (Steve Mestad) (07/25/89)

Two problems/questions about cpio in Ultrix 3.0:

1)  Cpio goes out of phase reading a multi tape archive.  It writes it ok
	(meaning it hits EOT and prompts for the next tape and continues from
	there on the next tape) but on read, it goes out of phase immediately
	on the second volume.  This is due to the file that was split across the
	tape.  This seems to be the case with cpio in previous Ultrix versions
	as well.  Is this a bug in cpio or in our tape hardware?  Dec has tried
	duplicating the problem but hasn't.  Our hardware is a Systems Industries
	9625 9 track (Storage Tek 2925) and Aviv controller which emulates TS-11.
	(Dec's tests weren't using the TS-11 driver).  Does cpio work right on
	a TS-11 drive?

2)  Cpio under 3.0 doesn't appear to handle symbolic links properly.  I think
	I read about this bug in the Ultrix bug list.  Is it going to be fixed?
	Does a working version exist?  Could I get a copy of the source?

Thanks.  SM  (email:  stevem%pserv@src.honeywell.com)

In article <102@pserv.UUCP> stevem@pserv.UUCP (Steve Mestad) writes:
> Two problems/questions about cpio in Ultrix 3.0:
>
> 1)  Cpio goes out of phase reading a multi tape archive...
>
> 2)  Cpio under 3.0 doesn't appear to handle symbolic links properly...

The 3.1 release notes claim that cpio symlink handling is fixed.  Nothing
about phase errors, but I'd install the 3.1 cpio and go from there...