[comp.unix.ultrix] uerf data file format

cks@white.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) (07/27/89)

 We accumulate all our client error logs into one file on our server
here (it makes checking them easier). However, uerf only offers two
output formats; too verbose and too terse. So I'd like to write myself
a uerf-like program that produces output of the form:

	system	date	message

 However, to do this I have to decipher the format of the error file.
/usr/include/sys/errlog.h is most unhelpful, and I can't find any
other documentation on the file format. Does anyone have either
documentation on the format (or pointers to the same; if it's in a
manual, just tell me...) or a program/magic set of uerf options to
produce this format of output?

 Thanks in advance.

--
	"I shall clasp my hands together and bow to the corners of the world."
			Number Ten Ox, "Bridge of Birds"

cks@white.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) (07/27/89)

 Well, I decided to do some more digging and hacking, and lo and
behold managed to find out the file format. To quote from my brand new
error log printer:

/*
 * Error records are highly peculiar. An error record is composed of four
 * parts:
 *
 * 	- a struct el_rhdr
 * 	- a struct el_sub_id
 * 	- a per-type information structure (note that these can sometimes
 * 	  exceed the normal size limits on their structures; in
 * 	  particular, the ascii messages from startup can be larger than
 * 	  256 bytes).
 * 	- a four-byte unique (well, hopefully unique) end-of-record
 * 	  marker, namely "%~<^".
 */

[Send me email if you want a copy of the program; if there's
 sufficient demand, I'll just post it.]
--

In article <89Jul26.165143edt.30757@snow.white.toronto.edu> cks@white.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) writes:

>  Well, I decided to do some more digging and hacking, and lo and
> behold managed to find out the file format. To quote from my brand new
> error log printer:
>
>  * Error records are highly peculiar...

Yah, peculiar, maybe perverse or perhaps even alien!  8-)  I was just letting
the stuff accumulate then running a sed script on to verbose output from uerf.
This seems much better.  I'd encourage you to post the program if it is of
finite length...

Good Job!  Another Ultrix "feature" made managable.