[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix 3.1 for DECstation 3100

condor@mas1.UUCP (Rick Kawala) (07/19/89)

I have a DECstation 3100 (RISC machine) running Ultrix 3.0. I read
in some of the trade rags that DEC was supposed to be shipping 3.1
by the end of last month, but my salesperson doesn't know anything
about it. Does anyone have this release? Has anyone heard anything
about it? Post if you think others are interested, or send email to
apple.com!mas1!condor.

		Thanks,
		Rick

In article <1929@mas1.UUCP> condor@mas1.UUCP (Rick Kawala) writes:
> I have a DECstation 3100 (RISC machine) running Ultrix 3.0. I read
> in some of the trade rags that DEC was supposed to be shipping 3.1
> by the end of last month, but my salesperson doesn't know anything
> about it. Does anyone have this release? Has anyone heard anything
> about it?

An intersting question.  When I talked to the support center people
about my security problem, they indicated that the problem was fixed
in 3.1 and that 3.1 would be "out" in June.

It surely hasn't arrived here yet, neither has the SPD shown up on DSIN,
which usually preceeds by a considerable margin the actual arrival of
release tapes...

People within DEC apparently have received 3.1, I don't know if anyone
in outside world has yet.

cks@white.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) (07/20/89)

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
| People within DEC apparently have received 3.1, I don't know if anyone
| in outside world has yet.

 Our three DECStation 3100's arrived today; among the other things
that arrived with them were two TK50 tapes labeled as

	U-32 V3.1/UWS V2.1 (VAX) UPD
and	U-32 V3.1/UWS V2.1 (RISC) UPD

(part numbers AQ-NJ45A-BE and AQ-NJ46A-BE respectively).

[Mind you, since we currently don't have a system running 3.0 yet,
 maybe this doesn't count as "received" :-)]
--
	"I shall clasp my hands together and bow to the corners of the world."
			Number Ten Ox, "Bridge of Birds"

davew@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM (David C. White) (07/20/89)

In article <7366@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <1929@mas1.UUCP> condor@mas1.UUCP (Rick Kawala) writes:
>> I read in some of the trade rags that DEC was supposed to be shipping 3.1
>> by the end of last month,

>People within DEC apparently have received 3.1, I don't know if anyone
>in outside world has yet.

From some of the postings I have seen in this newsgroup, it appears
that some people outside of DEC do have it.  They may just be beta
sites or DEC is shipping it with new systems and those of us with
support contracts will have to wait.  The only reason I posted this
is that bitching in public will guarantee that there will be an
update kit sitting in my office tomorrow.  :-)

--
David White	Grass Valley Group, Inc.   VOICE: +1 916.478.3052
P.O. Box 1114  	Grass Valley, CA  95945    FAX: +1 916.478.3778

wdg@unccvax.UUCP (Doug Gullett) (07/20/89)

In article <7366@cbmvax.UUCP>, grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
> In article <1929@mas1.UUCP> condor@mas1.UUCP (Rick Kawala) writes:
> > I have a DECstation 3100 (RISC machine) running Ultrix 3.0. I read
> > in some of the trade rags that DEC was supposed to be shipping 3.1
> > by the end of last month, but my salesperson doesn't know anything
> > about it. Does anyone have this release? Has anyone heard anything
> > about it?
>
> People within DEC apparently have received 3.1, I don't know if anyone
> in outside world has yet.

ULTRIX 3.1 came with our new DECstation 3100 (it arrived about ten
days ago). I installed the supported and unsupported subsets from
UWS 2.0 and then added the 3.1 subsets.  Here are the numbers off
of the 3.1 (UWS 2.1) tk50:

	AQ-NJ46A-BE   000MRS2496
	U-32 V3.1/UWS V2.1 (RISC) UPD

			thanks,
			Doug Gullett
			University of NC at Charlotte

			uunet!mcnc!unccvax!wdg

In article <1217@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM> davew@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com (David C. White) writes:
> In article <7366@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
> >In article <1929@mas1.UUCP> condor@mas1.UUCP (Rick Kawala) writes:
> >> I read in some of the trade rags that DEC was supposed to be shipping 3.1
> >> by the end of last month,
>
> >People within DEC apparently have received 3.1, I don't know if anyone
> >in outside world has yet.
>
> From some of the postings I have seen in this newsgroup, it appears
> that some people outside of DEC do have it.  They may just be beta
> sites or DEC is shipping it with new systems and those of us with
> support contracts will have to wait.  The only reason I posted this
> is that bitching in public will guarantee that there will be an
> update kit sitting in my office tomorrow.  :-)

Works good!  I post my tale of woe and misery yesterday and today the
tape shows up in the mail room.  I don't know if there's any causuality
involved or if DEC simply has my patience tuned to a T!  8-)

douglas@dekalb.UUCP (Douglas B. Jones) (07/28/89)

In article <1217@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM> davew@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com (David C. White) writes:
>In article <7366@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>>In article <1929@mas1.UUCP> condor@mas1.UUCP (Rick Kawala) writes:
>>> I read in some of the trade rags that DEC was supposed to be shipping 3.1
>>> by the end of last month,
>
>>People within DEC apparently have received 3.1, I don't know if anyone
>>in outside world has yet.

We received 3.1 earlier this week and will install it shortly. Of those who
have installed it, do you have any comments, warnings, ...?

--
Doulas B. Jones					douglas@dekalb
Academic Computer Center		or	gatech!dekalb!douglas