[comp.unix.ultrix] physmem config for 16mb DECstation 3100

mcguffey@muvms1.bitnet (Michael McGuffey) (07/28/89)

I have a DECstation 3100 config question:

In the config file, the physmem definition is set at 8, but we have
a 16MB machine.  Is this correct?  Unfortunately, the Configuration
File Maintenance docs skip the physmem description but describe
everything else.

Thanks,

-- michael
Michael McGuffey, Senior Software Applications Analyst
Phone:    304/696-3212			University Computer Center
FAX:      304/696-3601			Marshall University
BITNET:   mcguffey@muvms1		Huntington, WV 25755-5320
Internet: mcguffey%muvms3@wvnvms.wvnet.edu

chris@winsrf.dec.com (Chris Cordrey) (07/29/89)

In article <5576@muvms1.bitnet>, mcguffey@muvms1.bitnet (Michael McGuffey) writes:

> I have a DECstation 3100 config question:
>
> In the config file, the physmem definition is set at 8, but we have
> a 16MB machine.  Is this correct?  Unfortunately, the Configuration

Is it possible that you're looking at a copy of the GENERIC config file?
if your system had 16 Meg at installation then the installation should have
put 16 in your host-specific config file.  physmem should be 16 if you have
16 Meg.

Hopefully all 16 Meg are being recognized by your system (i.e. are working).
How much memory do you see when you utter

csh>  uerf | grep mem

-chris

frank@croton.DEC.COM (Frank Wortner) (07/29/89)

In article <5576@muvms1.bitnet>, mcguffey@muvms1.bitnet (Michael McGuffey) writes:
> In the config file, the physmem definition is set at 8, but we have
> a 16MB machine.  Is this correct?

The physmem parameter is used to size the system page table , so it should be greater
than or equal to the amount of memory actually in your machine.  Other than that, it has
no effect.  When you have a chance, change physmem, re-config, relink and boot a new
kernel.

Regards,
					Frank

In article <5576@muvms1.bitnet> mcguffey@muvms1.bitnet (Michael McGuffey) writes:
> I have a DECstation 3100 config question:
>
> In the config file, the physmem definition is set at 8, but we have
> a 16MB machine.  Is this correct?  Unfortunately, the Configuration
> File Maintenance docs skip the physmem description but describe
> everything else.

No, since physmem defines the maximum amount of memory that the kernel
tables are prepared to support.  With this definition of physmem, you
should only get the use of 8M, and this should show up in the boot-time
memory configuration/memory available messages.

kennish@janus.uucp (Ken A. Nishimura) (07/29/89)

(Michael McGuffey) writes:
>> In the config file, the physmem definition is set at 8, but we have
>> a 16MB machine.  Is this correct?
>
>The physmem parameter is used to size the system page table,
>so it should be greater than or equal to the amount of memory
>actually in your machine.  Other than that, it has
>no effect.  When you have a chance, change physmem, re-config,
>relink and boot a new kernel.
>
>Regards,
>					Frank

When I first installed Ultrix on our 3100, I saw the same thing.
I didn't see any mention of physmem in the RISC manual, though
in the VAX manual, it does what Frank mentions above.  I went
ahead and reconfiged (is this a word ?) with physmem set to
our system size (16MB).  Upon reboot, I got large numbers of
swap errors with our machine crashing about every 18 hours.  I
changed physmem back to 8 and re-installed the kernel and everything
seems to be fine now.  Anyone else out there experience this?

			-ken