[comp.unix.ultrix] VS3100 and ThinEthernet

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (08/03/89)

Hello,

I've been working with a VAXstation3100 for a few weeks. It was
connected to our Ethernet using a dropcable to one of the DELNIs.
Recently I switched to a local thin-wire Ethernet, which is connected
to our main network via a DESPR.

When I'm connected to a system on the network, e.g. via DECterm, the
connection frequently stucks for about three seconds, and then
continues. Sometimes it is even worse: about six seconds. This did not
happen when I was connected directly to the DELNI.

This behaviour makes interactive working, e.g. editing, a nuisance, if not
impossible.

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone? Any hints?

Thanks in advance,

	Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{mcvax,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv

In article <JV.89Aug2172611@mhres.mh.nl> jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:
> Hello,
>
> I've been working with a VAXstation3100 for a few weeks. It was
> connected to our Ethernet using a dropcable to one of the DELNIs.
> Recently I switched to a local thin-wire Ethernet, which is connected
> to our main network via a DESPR.
>
> When I'm connected to a system on the network, e.g. via DECterm, the
> connection frequently stucks for about three seconds, and then
> continues. Sometimes it is even worse: about six seconds. This did not
> happen when I was connected directly to the DELNI.

Do you have a terminator on the thin-wire cable?  The behavior you
describe sounds like DESPR is periodically shutting down the thinwire
segment due to collisions or jams.

Note that the DESPR should be connected directly to the main ethernet
thru an H4005 or equivalent transceiver with a heartbeat disable option.