[comp.unix.ultrix] Setting up BIND Client

phyllis@bcsaic.UUCP (Phyllis Melvin) (08/03/89)

I'm about to set up my Ultrix 3.1 system as a BIND Client.
According to the documentation, I must set my hostname
to the fully qualified BIND name (that means changing
"bcsaic" to "atc.boeing.com").  Changing our name will
have considerable impact since we have numerous UUCP neighbors
who know us as 'bcsaic'.  Do I REALLY have to change our
hostname?  Is there some way to work around this?  Or,
alternatively, is there a way to use an alias with UUCP
(so our UUCP neighbors still think our name is "bcsaic")?
--
Phyllis Melvin
UUCP:  uw-beaver!bcsaic!phyllis

In article <13691@bcsaic.UUCP> phyllis@bcsaic.UUCP (Phyllis Melvin) writes:
> I'm about to set up my Ultrix 3.1 system as a BIND Client.
> According to the documentation, I must set my hostname
> to the fully qualified BIND name (that means changing
> "bcsaic" to "atc.boeing.com").  Changing our name will
> have considerable impact since we have numerous UUCP neighbors
> who know us as 'bcsaic'.  Do I REALLY have to change our
> hostname?

No  (-8

It appears that as of 3.0 uucp knows about domain names and only
uses hostname up to the first dot as the uucp node name...