[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix 3.1 source

jay@stevie.cs.unlv.edu (Jay Nietling) (08/03/89)

i wonder if someone could provide me with order #  and price of source
to ultrix 3.1 for universities? our sales person says $15K.  some time
ago  we purchased 2.0  source for between  $750-$1000. has  the ultrix
source distribution to universities policy changed?

-jay

In article <1197@jimi.cs.unlv.edu> jay@jimi.cs.unlv.edu (Jay Nietling) writes:

> i wonder if someone could provide me with order #  and price of source
> to ultrix 3.1 for universities? our sales person says $15K.  some time
> ago  we purchased 2.0  source for between  $750-$1000. has  the ultrix
> source distribution to universities policy changed?

The $15K figure is the Commerical source license price.  The stuff in the
SPD describing the source license option doesn't seem to have changed and
the Educational Source order number should be something like QA-OBK*-**.

I hope your DEC salesbeing was simply confused and some further
exploration will clear up the matter...

Does anybody know what the deal is on "Risc" source licences?  Not available
yet, will be the same as VAX next time around, or sorry no source?

bobk@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Bob Kinne) (08/04/89)

In article <1197@jimi.cs.unlv.edu> jay@jimi.cs.unlv.edu (Jay Nietling) writes:

>i wonder if someone could provide me with order #  and price of source
>to ultrix 3.1 for universities? our sales person says $15K.  some time
>ago  we purchased 2.0  source for between  $750-$1000. has  the ultrix
>source distribution to universities policy changed?

Part numbers are AQ-M136B-SE and AQ-M137B-SE for TK50 source.  $15K
sounds pretty high for a university.  Do you have BSD and SV source
licenses?  Part of workstation consortium?  These would greatly
influence your ability to  purchase source at low cost.

maj@cl.cam.ac.uk (Martyn Johnson) (08/04/89)

> Does anybody know what the deal is on "Risc" source licences?

I have been told, pretty informally, that source will be available
at "the next major release".  I asked, "Does that mean 3.2 or 4.0?"
Reply: "Er, mumble, 3.2, I think."

It is not clear whether this will be a merged VAX/RISC source; I
don't think my local contact understood the question.

Another question, when the time comes when Ultrix is released on
one CD-ROM, will this include source, I wonder?

Martyn Johnson