[comp.unix.ultrix] Yellow Pages server not responding

cathy@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Cathy Accettura) (08/02/89)

I have a group of computers running Ultrix 3.0.  I am setting
up a new VaxServer3500 as a client of the domain SAL.  I have
2 microvaxes that are playing the role of server.  One of these
servers is the master and one is a slave server.

The problem is on my new computer I get the error
yp:server not responding for domanin SAL.  Still trying.
This also sometime occurs some of the Vaxstation 2000 clients.

The problem is the new system never comes up unless I edit
out the yellow pages stuff in the rc.local.  The server is
running a ypserv and a ypbind deamon.  ypwhich returns server
name.

Any ideas or commands that I can try to learn more about this
problem would be appreciated.

Cathy Accettura
Space Astronomy Lab
University of Wisconsin
cathy@larry.sal.wisc.edu

gcardwel@envy.eng.uci.edu (Guy Cardwell) (08/04/89)

In article <221@larry.sal.wisc.edu> cathy@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Cathy Accettura) writes:
>I have a group of computers running Ultrix 3.0.  I am setting
>up a new VaxServer3500 as a client of the domain SAL.  I have
>2 microvaxes that are playing the role of server.  One of these
>servers is the master and one is a slave server.
>
>The problem is on my new computer I get the error
>yp:server not responding for domanin SAL.  Still trying.
>This also sometime occurs some of the Vaxstation 2000 clients.
We would seem to be suffering from a similar problem.  We have a SUN 3/150
(ANGER) that is serving (successfully until now ) yp domain eng.uci.edu.
When I tried to boot our Ultrix 3.0 Vaxstation II (ENVY) into that domain it
responded with
    	ypbind: server not responding for domain eng.uci.edu
I eventully set up a new yp domain VAX.eng.uci.edu for it alone.  I can
	ypcat -d VAX.eng.uci.edu passwd
from the 3/150 and get the maps, but if I
	ypcat -d eng.uci.edu passwd
on the Vaxstation, the ypcat goes into never-never land, and the ypbind
process that it spawns prints messages to the console with the "server not
responding" message.  As a test, I enabled both machines to be yp slave
servers on each others domains. ( They both run ypserv, and have eachothers
names in their respective ypserver map)  I then tried using yppush to attempt
to propogate the maps between the machines.  On ENVY, the yppush command gives
the message:
	No response from ypxfr on anger.eng.uci.edu
On ANGER yppush passwd.byname hangs.
If I do a
	ypwhich -d eng.uci.edu
on ENVY it returns.
	Domain eng.uci.edu not bound.
and the familiar messages on the console reappear that the server for
eng.uci.edu is not responding.

suggestions anyone?
--
look.... even a test signature.....

marco@buengc.BU.EDU (Marco Zelada) (08/04/89)

In article <221@larry.sal.wisc.edu> cathy@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Cathy Accettura) writes:
>I have a group of computers running Ultrix 3.0.  I am setting
>up a new VaxServer3500 as a client of the domain SAL.  I have
>2 microvaxes that are playing the role of server.  One of these
>servers is the master and one is a slave server.
>
>The problem is on my new computer I get the error
>yp:server not responding for domanin SAL.  Still trying.
>This also sometime occurs some of the Vaxstation 2000 clients.

	I had this problem while upgradiing our GPX stations. My problem
had to do with my specifying the wrong client/server address.

>Any ideas or commands that I can try to learn more about this
>problem would be appreciated.

	Also, check the netmask.

| Name:	 Marco Zelada                  | Tel: 617 353 9882, Fax: 353 6322 |
| Group: VLSI CAD Research Laboratory  | E-mail: marco@buengc.bu.edu      |
| Dept:  Electrical & Computer Eng.    | US-Mail: 44 Cummington St.       |
| Org:   Boston University             |	     Boston MA, 02215     |