[comp.unix.ultrix] UUCP & Domain names

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (08/06/89)

hmmm ... making an assumption that UUCP name == first component of domain
name won't always work.  For instance, our UUCP name is "ukma", but the
machine doing UUCP here is "g.ms.uky.edu".

A useful hack I did here -- with the 4.3BSD UUCP -- was to use the thing
which wanted to read from /etc/uucpname but hack it up to read from
/usr/lib/uucp/uucpname instead.  Somewhere in that file you put the
UUCP name.  Oh, I see, that's all that's in the file.

Question:  I haven't even bothered to look in the documentation, but it
	would be `nice' to remove some non-vanilla-ness from our systems.
	Does the Ultrix UUCP do the uucpd  & t-protocol stuff?  And
	does the Ultrix UUCP do anything to require certin UUCP names to
	log in with certain login names?
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

In article <12360@s.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
> hmmm ... making an assumption that UUCP name == first component of domain
> name won't always work.  For instance, our UUCP name is "ukma", but the
> machine doing UUCP here is "g.ms.uky.edu".

True, but it's better than nothing.  I think it also truncates after 7 chars
or so, but that doesn't do you any good.  There doesn't seem to be any other
provisions than gethostname(), but I didn't look that hard.

> A useful hack I did here -- with the 4.3BSD UUCP -- was to use the thing
> which wanted to read from /etc/uucpname but hack it up to read from
> /usr/lib/uucp/uucpname instead.  Somewhere in that file you put the
> UUCP name.  Oh, I see, that's all that's in the file.

That is a problem with the Ultrix version of uucp - it's based on Antique
source and doesn't have any of the up-to-date stuff in the current BSD
uucp or HDB.

If you have legitimate access to 4.3 source, run, don't walk and install it.
The only things you lose are per system spool subdirectories and Ultrix
style shared dial-in/dial-out.  The latter is pretty easy to stick in...

> Question:  I haven't even bothered to look in the documentation, but it
> 	would be `nice' to remove some non-vanilla-ness from our systems.
> 	Does the Ultrix UUCP do the uucpd  & t-protocol stuff?  And

No, but a little isty-bitsy bit of object patching lets you create a
version that can be used as a uucp deamon and will do 'g' protocol
over uucp.

> 	does the Ultrix UUCP do anything to require certin UUCP names to
> 	log in with certain login names?

This is handled in USERFILE - if you specify a system name/login name
instead of using the default entries, then a mismatch blows of the
suspect system.  Unless the file INSECURE is present, unknown systems
are blown off also.