[comp.unix.ultrix] Sendmail/DECNET problem

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (08/08/89)

We have been getting errors in the syslog file:
	sendmail: Unparseable user root wants to be <joe@somevax>

and the mail is forwarded on to the destination with the return address of
	root@gateway

"somevax" is a VMS machine. We are using Ultrix 3.0 with the mail11
from Ultrix 2.2 ( I believe). We couldn't use the mail11 that came with
Ultrix 3.0 because the return address was always wrong, or something like
that.

Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it? Do we just hope
Ultrix 3.1 will solve the problem?

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crdgw1.ge.com>  a.k.a. <barnett@[192.35.44.4]>
			uunet!crdgw1.ge.com!barnett barnett@crdgw1.UUCP

In article <1533@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) writes:
> We have been getting errors in the syslog file:
> 	sendmail: Unparseable user root wants to be <joe@somevax>
>
> and the mail is forwarded on to the destination with the return address of
> 	root@gateway
>
> "somevax" is a VMS machine. We are using Ultrix 3.0 with the mail11
> from Ultrix 2.2 ( I believe). We couldn't use the mail11 that came with
> Ultrix 3.0 because the return address was always wrong, or something like
> that.
>
> Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it? Do we just hope
> Ultrix 3.1 will solve the problem?

This is one I put off as requiring major work to resolve.  If you use
the /usr/lib/sendmail and sendmail.cf you were using with 2.2, in
addition to the old mail11, then everything will work as previously
until you can get the new stuff sorted out.  Do delete sendmail.fc 8-).

From the release notes, one gets the feeling that the mail11 changes
were intended to support the new CDIF stuff that DEC seems to want
to bundle with Ultrix, not changes in the existing basic mail protocol.

Has anyone actually tried the CDIF stuff?  I am somewhat at a loss as
to what on earth it is good for, unless it's essentailly a VMS/DECwindows
component that DEC is trying position on all platforms...