[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix 2.2 and LN03 Scriptprinter

brian@hfh.edu (Brian A. Wolfe) (08/09/89)

Hi there,

I'm contemplating purchasing the LN03S -> scriptprinter upgrade
for use with an Ultrix system (what I'd really like to be able to do
is print (MS-DOS) Ventura graphics on some kind of postscript printer,
I can put the PC on a novell or ethernet network)

I have a choice of upgrading an HP Laserjet on a Novell (yuck!) network
or the DEC printer. Does anybody have a feel for which is the better
solution? (All our computer people prefer the ethernet to netware)

I guess I'm assuming I would be able to ftp the ventura files to
the vax and then print them there, is this assumption valid? Does the
LN03 scriptprinter work with the printcap remote option (right now
a few suns use the LN03 too) ?

Hey, I'd ask my DEC sales rep... but he's on vacation ;-)

regards,

Brian.

--
Brian Wolfe            Internet: brian@hfh.edu  BITNET: USERW18Y@UMICHUM
Systems Analyst        UUCP:     {rutgers,itivax,uunet}!sharkey!hfhrv!baw

In article <1989Aug9.143913.7209@hfh.edu> brian@hfhrv.UUCP (Brian A. Wolfe) writes:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm contemplating purchasing the LN03S -> scriptprinter upgrade
> for use with an Ultrix system (what I'd really like to be able to do
> is print (MS-DOS) Ventura graphics on some kind of postscript printer,
> I can put the PC on a novell or ethernet network)
>
> I guess I'm assuming I would be able to ftp the ventura files to
> the vax and then print them there, is this assumption valid? Does the
> LN03 scriptprinter work with the printcap remote option (right now
> a few suns use the LN03 too) ?

It should work, the Ultrix "lpr" printer support is fairly generic.
What seems lacking is support of things like the ln03S in the distributed
versions of nroff/troff, sigh...

You should be able to set it up as a "remote" printer.  The only kind
of place I would expect trouble would be where either the application
or protocol felt a need to run a "bi-directional" conversation with
the printer.  There have been cases, in other worlds, where the software
"needs" to interrogate the printer to determine model, sex or other
characteristics.

Disclaimer: we don't have any ln03S's around here, just ln03 & ln03+