line.  has anyone seen this one?

Peter R. Schmitt - UNIX Consultant, User Services - Peter.Schmitt@dartmouth.edu
	There are two fundamental facts of human enlightenment:
			#1, There is a God.

In article <14945@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> pete@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Peter Robert Schmitt) writes:
> setld is getting a syntax error on line 1231 when installing the
> supported software on a DS3100.  this line happens to be a comment
> line.  has anyone seen this one?

You haven't installed some alternate shell as /bin/sh have you?

I'd try doing a "sh -x /etc/setld ...parameters..." to see where it
is really choking...

pete@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Peter Robert Schmitt) (08/10/89)

In article <7606@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <14945@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> pete@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Peter Robert Schmitt) writes:
>> setld is getting a syntax error on line 1231 when installing the
>> supported software on a DS3100.  this line happens to be a comment
>> line.  has anyone seen this one?
>
>You haven't installed some alternate shell as /bin/sh have you?
>
>I'd try doing a "sh -x /etc/setld ...parameters..." to see where it
>is really choking...

No I haven't used an alternate shell.  Can't run the setld after the
install fails.  It complains (about 40 lines worth) that it runs out
of swap space then hangs the system.  We are installing onto an RZ55
using the default partitions for /, /usr, and swap.  We figure DEC
gave us a bad distribution.

Peter R. Schmitt - UNIX Consultant, User Services - Peter.Schmitt@dartmouth.edu

karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (08/11/89)

In article <14954@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> pete@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
(Peter Robert Schmitt) wrote:
>In article <7606@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>>In article <14945@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> pete@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
>>(Peter Robert Schmitt) writes:
>>> setld is getting a syntax error on line 1231 when installing the
>>> supported software on a DS3100.  this line happens to be a comment
>>> line.  has anyone seen this one?

>>You haven't installed some alternate shell as /bin/sh have you?

>No I haven't used an alternate shell.  Can't run the setld after the
>install fails.  It complains (about 40 lines worth) that it runs out
>of swap space then hangs the system.  We are installing onto an RZ55
>using the default partitions for /, /usr, and swap.  We figure DEC
>gave us a bad distribution.

Maybe you're really running out of swap space.

ULTRIX won't swap unless there's a proper line in /etc/fstab, no
matter what's configured into the kernel.

I had mysterious problems after running setld on a GPX until someone
pointed this out.  setld and the processes it created filled up
physical memory, and subsequent calls to utilities like ls and df
would die with `not enough core' messages, until the kernel
reclaimed some memory.

	Chuck Karish		{decwrl,hpda}!mindcrf!karish
	(415) 493-9000		karish@forel.stanford.edu

In article <4397@portia.Stanford.EDU> karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:
> In article <14954@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> pete@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
> (Peter Robert Schmitt) wrote:
> >In article <7606@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>
> >>You haven't installed some alternate shell as /bin/sh have you?

oh, well...

> >No I haven't used an alternate shell.  Can't run the setld after the
> >install fails.  It complains (about 40 lines worth) that it runs out
> >of swap space then hangs the system.  We are installing onto an RZ55
> >using the default partitions for /, /usr, and swap.  We figure DEC
> >gave us a bad distribution.
>
> Maybe you're really running out of swap space.
>
> ULTRIX won't swap unless there's a proper line in /etc/fstab, no
> matter what's configured into the kernel.

> I had mysterious problems after running setld on a GPX until someone
> pointed this out.  setld and the processes it created filled up
> physical memory, and subsequent calls to utilities like ls and df
> would die with `not enough core' messages, until the kernel
> reclaimed some memory.

I would warn that things may not be exactly as they seem here.
First, I feel that Ultrix will swap on the first space defined in
the configuration file.  Respecifying this partition in /etc/fstab
appeared to cause problems with the swap area becoming corrupted
when mega-images were being run and the system actually started
swapping/paging.  This gets much wierder than the "out of space"
symptoms.

One thing to recognize is that the system pre-allocates swap space
as processes are created, and that if your swap space not large
in comparison to your physical memory you will run out of swap
space to be allocated before you run out of memory in which to run
things.  A correlary is that, in a system with enough physical
memory, most swap space is *never* used, so it can be all screwed
up or mis-allocated and you'd never know until you do start
swapping/paging.

Proving what's what would require a bit of careful observation with
pstat -s and using adb to verify the swapmap.  I haven't done this,
and I'm a bit over my head here.  Maybe somebody who knows the code
can supply tru-facts instead of handwaving and vague warnings.
If you do have problems, look in this direction and try specifing
a second swap partition elsewhere.

BTW, as of 3.0, "doadump", the starting point for manually invoking
a crashdump/restart has moved from 80001400 to 80001c00 - this is
remarkably difficult to intuit when you're sitting there with a
hung system that you'd really like to document with a nice dump...