[comp.unix.ultrix] DS3100 questions - which Endian?

hurf@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Hurf Sheldon) (08/09/89)

 1:
 Would someone take the time to straighten me out on the DecStation
 3100 byte ordering and it's ramifications? I am trying to compile
 some code (NCAR2.0) that is dependent on some byte ordering code depending
 on the processor. Generally vax vs the rest of the world. I thought the
 3100 built with the -EL flag looked like a vax from a byte perspective
 but using a -Dvax at as a CDEFINE makes for other errors. I have found
 in one set of display routines (plt) ensuring the vax byte ordering
 routines were included got me half way there.

 If someone is familiar with the specific problem of NCAR: the .cgm files
 from the mips display ok on a vax. Forcing plt to use the vax_swap.h code
 let it open the cgm file without a record length error but the plots are
 gibberish so I suspect the information is being translated by cgmtrans
 or trnspprt incorrectly as the vax confirms the cgm file is correct.

 2:
 TeX on the mips? Has anyone tried ctex? -

 Thanks,

--
     Hurf Sheldon			 Network: hurf@ionvax.tn.cornell.edu
     Lab of Plasma Studies		  Bitnet: hurf@CRNLION

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (08/09/89)

In article <8588@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> hurf@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
(Hurf Sheldon) writes:
>2:
>TeX on the mips? Has anyone tried ctex? -

Get the current Unix TeX from washington.edu (by tape, or by FTP,
or by gum! :-) ), compile it, and away you go.

Amazing how well things written in C can port. . . .

mikem+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Meyer) (08/09/89)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.unix.ultrix: 9-Aug-89 Re: DS3100 questions -
> whic.. Chris Torek@mimsy.UUCP (442)

> >TeX on the mips? Has anyone tried ctex? -

> Get the current Unix TeX from washington.edu (by tape, or by FTP,
> or by gum! :-) ), compile it, and away you go

And how fast -- I get between 100 and 150 pages per minute through
(c)TeX on a DS3100.
                            Michael M. Meyer
                      Statistics/Academic Computing
                       Carnegie Mellon University.

jg@max.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (08/11/89)

The DECstation 3100 is "little endian"; i.e. it has the same byte order as
a VAX or an Intel processor (IBM PC).

Note that floating point is IEEE, however.

-EL is the default on the DECstation.

TeX runs just fine on the DECstation.  It is available from U. Washington, as
usual.  TeX in C was one of the early programs run as a benchmark.