[comp.unix.ultrix] LAT/Telnet gateway documentation omission

davew@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM (David C. White) (07/27/89)

While setting up some LAT/Telnet gateway ttys, I found some an omission
in the documentation.  I set everything up as specified and when I
tried to connect to the 'telnet' service, I got the 'insufficient node
resources' message.  After putzing around with everything for a while I
decided to call the support center.  If I tried to connect to the node
name I would end up getting the 'telnet>' prompt from the server.

I decided to give TFM another shot and looked at lcp some more and got
a clue from the 'v' and 'V' options.  When I originally tried to set up
the LAT gateway, I used the first 4 LAT ttys.  MISTAKE!  The LAT ttys
must evidently be assigned in the order that the multiple services are
defined, i.e., since the host is usually defined as the first service,
the number of tty devices that you want for normal LAT service must be
the first LAT devices and the ttys assigned to the second defined
service must after these.

For example, if you have 16 LAT ttys, tty20-tty35, defined and you want
normal LAT connections through a server to your node and you want to
have 4 LAT ttys assigned to the lat/telnet service which is defined
second in the 'lcp' command, you would set up tty20-tty31 with the
standard '/etc/getty' command and then you would set up tty32-35 with
the '/usr/etc/lattelnet' command.  If you get these in reverse order,
if you do a connect to the host service, you end up with the 'telnet>'
prompt, and if you try to connect to the service you have defined as
'telnet', you will get the insufficient node resources message.

[Just got a call back from the support center and they confirmed this]

My gripe is that this is not described in the documentation on setting
up the LAT/Telnet gateway service.  I hope this helps someone that may
be attempting to do this.

The second problem I ran into, after I got everything working, is that
when you connect to the telnet service, before you do the 'open host'
command, the session is in interactive mode as it should be.  After the
connection to the host is established, looking at the session shows
that it is now in passall mode.  The support center is researching this
one since they didn't have a ready answer.  Anyone else run across this
one, or I have missed something else?

This is with Ultrix 3.0 (still waiting on 3.1 which I was told had been
sent on its way to me on July 22) and a DECserver 200 with 2.0 software.
--
Dave White	Grass Valley Group, Inc.   VOICE: +1 916.478.3052
P.O. Box 1114  	Grass Valley, CA  95945    FAX: +1 916.478.3778

In article <1225@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM> davew@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com (David C. White) writes:
> While setting up some LAT/Telnet gateway ttys, I found some an omission
> in the documentation.  I set everything up as specified and when I
> tried to connect to the 'telnet' service, I got the 'insufficient node
> resources' message...
>
> I decided to give TFM another shot and looked at lcp some more and got
> a clue from the 'v' and 'V' options.  When I originally tried to set up
> the LAT gateway, I used the first 4 LAT ttys.  MISTAKE!  The LAT ttys
> must evidently be assigned in the order that the multiple services are
> defined, i.e., since the host is usually defined as the first service,
> the number of tty devices that you want for normal LAT service must be
> the first LAT devices and the ttys assigned to the second defined
> service must after these.

I think it's as simple as they must be available in the order that they're
opened.  If you have incoming default LAT connections, they suck up the
lower numbered devices.  Having getty running on them, assuming you have
normal LAT devices in /etc/ttys, may be enough to do you in.

I could be confused, I too had great pain with the "insufficient resources"
stuff when I was setting things up.  I also made the mistake of playing
with -h / -H which are not relevant to this purpose.

> My gripe is that this is not described in the documentation on setting
> up the LAT/Telnet gateway service.  I hope this helps someone that may
> be attempting to do this.

I couldn't agree more.  The lattelnet stuff isn't described clearly
enough as a "how to" installation, and there's no backup documentation
describing the Ultrix LAT services and mechanisms, expecially from the
unix TTY driver emulation point of view.

> The second problem I ran into, after I got everything working, is that
> when you connect to the telnet service, before you do the 'open host'
> command, the session is in interactive mode as it should be.  After the
> connection to the host is established, looking at the session shows
> that it is now in passall mode.  The support center is researching this
> one since they didn't have a ready answer.  Anyone else run across this
> one, or I have missed something else?

Yes, when the application program (telnet) puts your terminal in raw mode,
this passes a mode command of some sort to the server to put you in passall
mode so that raw mode can "work".  It would be nice if it also overrode
the server's auto-parity settings, but that's another story.

> This is with Ultrix 3.0 (still waiting on 3.1 which I was told had been
> sent on its way to me on July 22) and a DECserver 200 with 2.0 software.

This is one of the things that is broken in 3.1, be warned.

davew@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (David C. White) (08/13/89)

In article <1225@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM> davew@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com (David C. White) writes:

| The second problem I ran into, after I got everything working, is that
| when you connect to the telnet service, before you do the 'open host'
| command, the session is in interactive mode as it should be.  After the
| connection to the host is established, looking at the session shows
| that it is now in passall mode.  The support center is researching this
| one since they didn't have a ready answer.

Well, this one seems to have gotten fixed with 3.1.  The session stays
in interactive mode as it should after the telnet connectin is made.
Strange, the network support group researching the problem was able to
duplicate it.  Maybe they haven't received their 3.1 yet.  ;-)
Dave White	Grass Valley Group, Inc.   VOICE: +1 916.478.3052
P.O. Box 1114  	Grass Valley, CA  95945    FAX: +1 916.478.3887
Internet: davew@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com     UUCP:  ...!tektronix!gvgpsa!davew