[comp.unix.ultrix] DEC 3100 Upgrading to Ultrix 3.1 ... HOW?

In article <1474@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> ramesh@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (nallepilli.s.ramesh) writes:
> I just received my upgrade package to Ultrix-32 V3.1 on my DEC 3100
> work station.  The first READ THIS FIRST sheet says refer to ULTRIX-32 V3.1/
> UWS V2.1 Relases Notes and installation before attempting to install!
> Well.. No such document came with it.  All I got was a capacity upgrade
> installation instruction pamphlet.  I call up DEC SW support and they tell me
> that I should have received the required installation manual, but must have
> been left out by accident- refer to local sales rep.  The local sales rep
> is very courteous and promises to get the info right away.  Three days later
> I get a priority package - again with the same capacity upgrade pamphlet.
> Call up sales rep again. Got a message on my answering machine saying that
> there are no new release notes!!  I am getting thoroughly frustrated.  Would
> some kind soul just mail me the part number for the new release manual so
> I can convince these sales types to order it for me?  If things go on like this
> I may just have to switch to SUN:-)

Sounds like sombody screwed up the packing list and needs a reality check.

The document you want is "Ultrix-32 V 3.1 / UWS V 2.1 - Release Notes
and Installation Guide", order number AA-ME85B-TE.  I'd hammer on your
DECperson until they get through to somebody who actually knows what
the problem is.  There are also some phone numbers in the back of the
manuals, but that may only generate more confusion.

The release notes look like about 100 pages, at least half having to
do with UWS.  I wouldn't like to try an upgrade without it...

SPDyer: try cd /sys/YOURSYSTEM ; make clean ; make depend ; make vmunix