[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix DECnet

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (07/18/89)

I am running a TCP to DECnet gateway using Ultrix 2.2-1 on a Microvax II.
It has been working very well until just recently. Now people attempting
to use the gateway from the SPAN side are getting messages about insufficient
system resources, such as

%COPY-E-OPENIN, error opening 9580"host!user password"::"file" as input
-RMS-E-ACC, ACP file access failed
-SYSTEM-F-REMRSRC, insufficient system resources at remote node

The only messages on the machine itself are syslog entries of the form
"dnet_spawner: process exited". Not very helpful.

Attempted mailing through the gateway is also failing with an apparently
similar problem about mail11 not being able to create a socket.

There have been *NO* changes made to any of the software on this machine
since it was brought up a year ago. It is possible that usage patterns
have changed, but I don't know how to determine this.

At any rate, does anyone know if there is anything I can do to increase
"system resources", or have any idea why this problem would have suddenly
come up? If it matters, I am a UNIX expert and fairly knowledgeable about
TCP, but know almost nothing about VMS or DECnet.

--Greg

michaud@decvax.dec.com (Jeff Michaud) (08/16/89)

In article <3723@ncar.ucar.edu>, woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) writes:
> I am running a TCP to DECnet gateway using Ultrix 2.2-1 on a Microvax II.
> It has been working very well until just recently. Now people attempting
> to use the gateway from the SPAN side are getting messages about insufficient
> system resources, such as
>
> %COPY-E-OPENIN, error opening 9580"host!user password"::"file" as input
> -RMS-E-ACC, ACP file access failed
> -SYSTEM-F-REMRSRC, insufficient system resources at remote node
> At any rate, does anyone know if there is anything I can do to increase
> "system resources"

	Try (as root):

		ncp define exec max links 80
		ncp set exec max links 80

	The default is 20 links (really a little less due to implementation) so this may
	be the resource you are running out of if there are alot of connections going in
	and out of the gateway at the same time.

	If that's not the problem, it could be you are running out of mbuf's since in V2.2 the
	mbuf pool was a fixed size (ie. the pool itself didn't grow).  There are some configuration
	file parameters that you can change to increase this (sorry, I don't know what they are).
--
|Jeff Michaud    michaud@decwrl.dec.com  michaud@decvax.dec.com|