[comp.unix.ultrix] Looking for Benchmarks Between VAXstation 3100 and SUN 3/80

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (07/20/89)

In article <1216@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM> davew@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com (David C. White) writes:
>Does anyone have any hard data comparing the VAXstation 3100 (running
>Ultrix) against the SUN 3/80?  SUN is claiming the performance is the
>same as the VAXstation 3100 but I don't have a 3/80 to compare against
>our VAXstation.  If anyone has done any benchmarks between these two
>systems I would appreciate any data you may have gathered.

Here's some hard data, not what you want maybe, bue anyway:
I compared a large number of systems, including:
Microvax 3200 with the ninth edition unix. (this is more or less the same
					then the vaxstation 3100)
Sun 3/80 with Sun OS 4.0.3.

Let me only give you some cpu results as system calls and disk-related
stuff is too OS specific:

test		Sun 3/80	Microvax 3200
sieve		5.1		4.9
sine		10.1		6.0
loop		10.9		11.0

So I would say that they are a pretty close match, except for
floating point where the Microvax excells. (yes, the 3/80 was using the
fp chip).

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

chris@skat.usc.edu (Christopher Ho) (07/21/89)

In article <9642@alice.UUCP> debra@alice.UUCP () writes:
>I compared a large number of systems, including:
>Microvax 3200 with the ninth edition unix. (this is more or less the same
>					then the vaxstation 3100)

Actually, if I recall correctly, the VAX 3100, 3300 and 3400 incorporate
a slightly slower version of DEC's CMOS VAX chipset that is rated at 2.4
VUPs (versus 2.7 for the 3200/3500/3600/62x0).  Thus, your 3200 numbers
timings should be divided by 0.89.  That makes integer stuff slightly
slower than the 3/80, but FP calculations still look significantly
faster.

davew@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM (David C. White) (08/16/89)

--
David White	Grass Valley Group, Inc.   VOICE: +1 916.478.3052
P.O. Box 1114  	Grass Valley, CA  95945    FAX: +1 916.478.3778