[comp.unix.ultrix] RA90's

cgh018@tijc02.UUCP (Calvin Hayden ) (08/16/89)

Any one out there who can tell me the optimal
rotational gap, and blocks/cylinder for a DEC
RA90 Drive?  I don't know how much difference it
will make using the opt. over what I've got now,
but its worth a shot.  I'm running SysV R2 V2 on
a Vax 8600 - maybe some ultrix person can tell
me the answer, because DEC hasn't been too helpful
on this one.

"...and we thank you for your support."

                                     _____
                                     |   |     o
Calvin Hayden                        |    \_  / ____
Texas Instruments               _____|     __/__   |
Johnson City, TN.               \_          /       \
VOICE: (615) 461-2254             \        /  /     _|
UUCP: ...mcnc!rti!tijc02!cgh018    \_/--\  \_/  __ /
                                          \    |
                                            \__\

alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (08/16/89)

In article <618@tijc02.UUCP>, cgh018@tijc02.UUCP (Calvin Hayden ) writes:
> Any one out there who can tell me the optimal
> rotational gap, and blocks/cylinder for a DEC
> RA90 Drive?

	I use an 8 KB block size on my RA90's and the file
	system code uses an 8 KB gap.  I've played around
	with smaller (0) and larger gaps without much change
	in sequential I/O speed.  I haven't tried other block
	sizes.

	From the V3.1 disktab entry for the RA90:

ra90|RA90|DEC RA90 Winchester:\
	:ty=winchester:ns#69:nt#13:nc#2649:\
	:pa#15884:ba#8192:fa#1024:\
	:pb#127072:bb#4096:fb#1024:\
	:pc#2376153:bc#8192:fc#1024:\
	:pd#420197:bd#8192:fd#1024:\
	:pe#420197:be#8192:fe#1024:\
	:pf#840393:bf#8192:ff#1024:\
	:pg#1680787:bg#8192:fg#1024:\
	:ph#552410:bh#8192:fh#1024:

	Sectors per track is 69, tracks per cylinder is 13 and
	there are 2649 cylinders.
--
Alan Rollow				alan%nabeth.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com