[comp.unix.ultrix] Outgoing UUCP on Ultrix-3.0 ?

trier@freja.diku.dk (Jens Trier Rasmussen) (08/16/89)

Hello

I'm trying to set up an outgoing UUCP connection from Ultrix 32 v3.0,
but I have problems when connected to the remote system. The data
from the remote system is garbled (looking like escape-sequences) and
I think that it is a parity error.

I have tried to change D1200 entry in /etc/gettytab, but it doesn't help.

Any ideas to what is wrong ? (Has the internationalization in 3.0
anything to do with it ?)

All help welcomed

Cheers
     Jens trier rasmussen

In article <4775@freja.diku.dk> trier@freja.diku.dk (Jens Trier Rasmussen) writes:
> Hello
>
> I'm trying to set up an outgoing UUCP connection from Ultrix 32 v3.0,
> but I have problems when connected to the remote system. The data
> from the remote system is garbled (looking like escape-sequences) and
> I think that it is a parity error.
>
> I have tried to change D1200 entry in /etc/gettytab, but it doesn't help.

gettytab has nothing to do with outgoing uucp connections.  You can control
the parity used by uucp for the login sequence with some special codes in
the "expect-send" sequence in the L.sys file (P_ZERO, P_ONE, P_EVEN, P_ODD).
The default may have changed in from one of the above to "8 bit" as part
of the 2.x or 3.x changes to pass 8-bit data.

It is also possible that you have a baud rate problem, or are just seeing
line noise when the connection is made/broken.

It is often a good idea to make an initial call to the remote system with
tip(1) or kermit to get a feeling for how it responds to the uucp login.