[comp.unix.ultrix] Return key and xterm

gregory@cscadm.ncsu.edu (Scott Gregory) (08/18/89)

  I have installed ULTRIX V3.0 onto a VAXstation II/RC and am
running xterm and uwm instead of DECterm.  The problem is this;
While running xterm(specified in /etc/ttys) and uwm the return
key must be pressed twice every time while the enter key works
properly when pressed only once.  I don't have this problem
when running DECterm(dxsession, etc..).  If anyone has ideas
to a solution to my problem I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks in advance,
Scott Gregory
gregory%cscadm@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (08/18/89)

In article <3684@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, gregory@cscadm.ncsu.edu (Scott Gregory) writes:
>   I have installed ULTRIX V3.0 onto a VAXstation II/RC and am
> running xterm and uwm instead of DECterm.  The problem is this;
> While running xterm(specified in /etc/ttys)

Support for starting xterm from /etc/ttys is being discontinued from
both the MIT and DEC releases of X.  You should use xdm or dxsession
instead.  I use dxsession, as it is more powerful.  You can specify
both a terminal emulator (xterm or DECterm) and a window manager (uwm
or dxwm or whatever) for dxsession through your .Xdefaults file.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee