[comp.unix.ultrix] electronic SPR

mcm@rti.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) (08/17/89)

Has anyone submitted an SPR electronically?  More than a week ago
there was a description of how to do so posted to this newsgroup.
I filled out the form according to the directions, and sent it off.
It has been more than a week, and I haven't heard anything from them.
Gee, I guess the electronic SPR forms work just like the paper ones!
I just wish I had some sort of acknowledgement from them.

--
Mike Mitchell	{decvax,seismo,ihnp4,philabs}!mcnc!rti!mcm  mcm@rti.rti.org

"If you hear me talking on the wind, You've got
 to understand, We must remain perfect strangers"	    (919) 541-6098

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (08/17/89)

Well, I do it all the time but internally.  In fact, what was posted was
a ntoe to internal DEC folks.  Don't know if UCB is allowed to post
electronic SPRs, but someone from UCB posted that form and address.

To answer your question, when I post electronic SPRs internally, I get an
ACK with an tracking number just like the paper SPRs.

Fred

In article <3132@rti.UUCP> mcm@rti.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) writes:

> Has anyone submitted an SPR electronically?  More than a week ago
> there was a description of how to do so posted to this newsgroup.
> I filled out the form according to the directions, and sent it off.
> It has been more than a week, and I haven't heard anything from them.
> Gee, I guess the electronic SPR forms work just like the paper ones!
> I just wish I had some sort of acknowledgement from them.

It's not obvious that DEC intends this facility to be available to
random customers.  If it works, fine, if not...

Note that one of the things that the Support Centers are supposed to be able
to do for you is handle SPR submission.  Colorado seems more than willing,
while the last person I talked to in Atlanta needed some arm twisting.

The downside here is that when the support center creates the SPR, any
feedback (apparently) comes back to them and the only way you'll can
find out if anything happens is to harass the support center person for
the SPR # and check back with them from time to time.

This is probably appropriate for a simple dead-end bug report, where
you report the problem and DEC either decides to fix it or doesn't.
For something that might require interaction, it might be better to
do it yourself.

Finally, I've had pretty good luck with sending E-mail to people inside
DEC, including the support center people.  All of DEC internal seems to
be on a flat addressed net called E-net.  If your system supports domain
style addresses and you want to send mail to person@node, then mail to
person@node.dec.com works.  If not, then you need to go thru one of the
gateways, either decuac or decwrl.  In this case, adresses of the form
...!decuac!node.dec.com!person or ...!decuac!node.enet!person seem to
work.  If your system can be accessed by a domain style address, they have
no problem sending mail back to you, otherwise you may have a problem...

hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike Marshall) (08/18/89)

From article <3132@rti.UUCP>, by mcm@rti.UUCP (Mike Mitchell):

> Has anyone submitted an SPR electronically?

Yes. I have. I submitted an SPR that described the way that ULTRIX 3.X
DECnet-ULTRIX/gateway mail software (mail11 to be specific) did not conform
to RFC822.

My SPR's receipt was ack'ed, but that was months ago. I've heard nothing
about it since. I wish they'ed fix it... it could be such a good thing,
but as it is it's trash.

-Mike Marshall       hubcap@clemson.edu